Refund of Account Balance

jeffreysol
Conductor
4 Replies 3526 Views

I have received this text from AGL today.

"This is the AGL team, we have applied the Queensland government's Cost of Living Rebate to your account. It will appear on your next bill after July 1, 2024, as 'QLD Govt Cost of Living Rebate'. This rebate is non-refundable and will be applied to any outstanding or future electricity bills."

I have solar and my account is usually in credit so this money will remain with AGL indefinitely. I have been through this before and it was finally resolved by EWOQ. I was hoping not to have to go through it all again. The refund is for the consumer not for AGL.

13 REPLIES 13
NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 2929 Views

@jeffreysol,

Any government rebates are not refundable and will appear as a rebate on your next issued bill.

If you have an excess in your account from overpayment or solar generation AGL will pay this out to you.

The $300 Federal Government Payment is due for its first $75 payment in late August.

Our account is always in credit and AGL sends us a cheque in July, but always leaves around $200 in the account.

I expect you will get a cheque after your next bill issue, this will not include any moneys paid as State or Federal rebates.

You can apply to AGL to get any other refund that may be due.

https://www.agl.com.au/help-support/billing-payments/request-credit-refund

If you click on the link above it will take you to the site on your preferred web interface.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
jeffreysol
Conductor
0 Replies 2910 Views
Thanks Neil, last time my refund was approved three times and then rejected
three times. Not until I contacted EWOQ did I get anything done. I
therefore have little faith that the process will be any easier this time.
Kirraflea
Conductor
2 Replies 2850 Views

AGL has to provide the consumer a refund of the credit amount regardless if it’s the government rebate or not. AGL can’t penalise a consumer for exercising  their rights to change providers for a better deal. If a consumer switches providers, the credit needs to be refunded to the consumer, if AGL is refusing this, I would contact the QLD OMBUDSMEN. For everyone’s convenience, I have attached a photo of the article on the Queensland government website which clearly states that consumers are entitled to the credit when switching providers regardless if it’s the government rebate or not, I suggest that anyone Whom is being told by AGL that the money can’t be refunded to them contact the ombudsman and put in a complaint because there have been numerous people already complaining to them about AGL … Perhaps AGL better pull their heads out of their butts and stop trying to rip off consumers

https://www.queenslandsavers.qld.gov.au/tips-to-save/$1000-off-your-energy-bills

IMG_1744.jpeg

Deepesh_AGL
AGL Moderator
2 Replies 2798 Views

Hi Kirraflea, The QLD Government energy rebate is designed to assist Queenslanders with their energy bill. A refund of this rebate can be requested under certain circumstances like the one mentioned in the article where if your account is closed or if you change retailers. You can also request a refund if your account has been in credit for over a certain duration. We can certainly look into your account further to check if you are eligible for a refund. I will send you a private message shortly to discuss further. Cheers, Deepesh 

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 2797 Views

@Kirraflea 

I suggest you read the info you supplied on your post.

+++

If a customer’s electricity account is already in credit, the rebate will still be applied and any credit will be carried over to future bills. The rebate may also help pay off any overdue electricity bills customers have.

Customers still have the flexibility to switch retailers for a better deal, even if the rebate has left their account in credit. When switching retailers, any leftover credit will be refunded to the customer as part of the transfer process

+++

The government rebates are NOT REFUNDABLE, if you move to another retailer any REBATE that is still outstanding will be transferred to the account with the new retailer.

Any other credit will be refunded to you.

REBATES are used first, $1000 rebate goes into account, your account already has $100 credit, next bill comes in at $300 debit. You now have $700 left on rebate and $100 credit.

It is my understanding that if you have solar, when a bill arrives, the Electricity Costs are paid from the REBATE and your solar is added to your account as CREDIT.

At any time you can request your CREDIT from AGL by filling out the request form.

With the Federal Government Rebate it is applied to the account of the Resident of the house at the rate of $75 dollars a quarter not $25 monthly.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Kirraflea
Conductor
1 Reply 2786 Views

Hi Neil 

I’m not saying that people can just get a refund if they still stay with AGL..  it is when you switch providers that you’re entitled to have that money refunded to you. That is exactly what is happening with my situation. I have just switched to Origin and AGL are refunding the credit to me, which I am then putting on to my origin account as I want my electricity to remain in credit. Origin are offering me a way better deal than AGL and I also prefer to have my gas and electricity with one provider. AGL clearly does not provide bottled gas hence the move. I have also confirmed with both Origin and AGL if the credit can be transferred from one supplier to another and both have said they can’t transfer it and that it will be refunded and then I will have to pay it to my new supplier myself. I suggest you call the ombudsman and find out from them because I have already and they’ve said to me exactly what I’ve written in my post. Also, AGL have confirmed that the credit will be refunded once my final bill has been finalised with them and I have that in writing from AGL. 

jeffreysol
Conductor
0 Replies 2750 Views
Thankyou I look forward to hearing from you.
switched_ts
Switched-on
2 Replies 2407 Views

My account was finalised weeks ago as I changed providers, yet AGL are still giving me the run around on the refund. It has been the 2nd time I have contacted them in regard to just getting an update on this refund and each time they say it hasn't been processed. Apparently, it takes between 5-7 business days once processed. Each time AGL is saying it hasn't been processed yet I provided all proof needed and a transcript of an operator saying she got the ball rolling complete with reference number for the refund. So AGL, "how say you??"

NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 2404 Views

@switched_ts 

If you want a reply from AGL you actually need to contact AGL and not use this NEIGHBOURHOOD and expect a reply from AGL

I suggest you contact AGL via CHAT or via EMAIL.

Firstly AGL do not do direct fund transfer and will send you a NOT NEGOTIABLE cheque that you must deposit into your personal bank account.

AGL do not seem to do daily cheque runs and you must wait until the document has been mailed to you. This normally takes UP TO THREE weeks.

Then you need  to present the cheque to YOUR BANK which will then take THREE to FIVE WORKING days to process into your account.

Cheers Neil