Remove nuclear ban

rob8888
Transformer
6 Replies 10817 Views

Nuclear better on cost, waste, build time.
Remove nuclear ban and get on with it.
Australia has lots of stable land for waste.

Report says nuclear power is cheaper than solar.
SMR come from UK US, solar from China. We reduce
our dependance on China. SMR life is 60 years.

SMR placed on old coal sites, grid to site already.
Prepare site 2 years, ship and install SMR 2 years.
Coal miners move to uranium /iron-ore jobs.

UK SMR design is PWR 2 year refueling cycle.
Sealed containers go in land fill.

Solar uses lots of food land and new grid built
long distances to it. Panels last 20 years made
with China rare earths so go to landfill.

38 REPLIES 38
NeilC
Powerhouse
2 Replies 1425 Views

@Caban 

That seems fine for you lot on the East Coast.

We have to rely on people like Peter (with his private reactor) to supply power.

Can't wait to get home and connect the diodes into the mains so I can obtain the cheaper power from Peter when I expend my "home made pumped storage hydro system".

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Caban
Super Nova
1 Reply 1418 Views

@NeilC 

If you have a problem then using diodes will often rectify it.

Michael57
Superconductor
2 Replies 1403 Views

The problem with diodes is you only get half as much power as they are only semiconductors.  Why not use a full conductor ? 

NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 1398 Views

@Michael57 

Michael (I presume),

If you look up the special variactor diodes, 10V814's, in the Diode Handbook, you will see they are in fact Full Wave Variactor Diodes, they should really be named Bridge Mode Variactor Diodes, but as you know we just cannot make up component names and have to rely on IEEE specifications.

I like the fact that they only have three pins and can be mounted inside a standard male three pin mains plug and can be jumpered to produce either 50 or 60 cycle output up to the maximum 15amp output while at the same time completely disabling any earth leakage devices fitted to homes.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Caban
Super Nova
0 Replies 1389 Views

@Michael57 

I find Full Conductors to be in short supply. In days gone they seemed to be everywhere, but recently I have not seen them. Drivers do the job but their duty cycles mean they are just semi-conductors.

John-T
Powerhouse
1 Reply 1346 Views

Thank you @NeilC   🙂

Though I am not part of the typical East Coast lot.

I was extremely fortunate enough to have had my house built over a water aquifer so I had Honest Abes Hydroelectric Water systems do a cashy and bore a hole down to the aquifer to drop down a mini hydraulic turbine. Then the tricky part was the mini size hydroelectric generator sitting in my spare room encased in a make shift noise dampening enclosure. The US Navy are giving me the run around as they promised me they could jerry rig the noise dampening system of a Virginia class Nuke Sub to my generator but nothing yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Currently I am producing a solid 3.7KW of power with little ebbs and weaves to it "water flow rate changes a touch" every now and again. Though in case of a catastrophic failure I have Tim & Tam ready to spin up their little wheel which will generate enough power to power my 1800 lumen 14.5 watt phillips globe which almost near lights up the whole house if I open all the doors. But the little suckers cost me around $3 bucks a week in premium cheese though much safer than a potential rad leak I guess.

Kind Regards

John

Plan:   Solar Savers

Dist:    Endeavour Energy

State:  NSW 

Emergency Back up Power: Tim & Tam 15watts

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 1330 Views

@John-T 

Thanks for the info.

May I suggest a single square of "Cab Old Gold" to increase your output when you need it.

I really enjoyed my flight back with Ansett.

At the moment in Narrabri on the way home.

With Cyclone Jasper approaching, hopefully they will lay out some TIDAL GENERATORS to collect some of the water forces.

Cheers Neil

Caban
Super Nova
1 Reply 1313 Views

@John-T @NeilC 

My standby is a Wankel Rotary Generator powered by a local 15 year old schoolboy in the spare room. No cheese required.

NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 1218 Views

@John-T @Caban @rob8888 

Very disappointed about Jasper

No info about Tidal Generators.

I was in Roxby Downs last week, at the Bakery, the Lady tried to sell me some Orange Cake. Told her I was more interested in Yellow Cake and would like a drum of it....

Cheers Neil