Bill to high - how do I cut back?

FeeBee21
Conductor
3 Replies 14335 Views

Hi like most people I am finding the cost of living way over the top but having said that not crying poor mouth want I would like though are some sensible tips on how to cut back my bill. I pay out of the pension $40.00 a fortnight, I live in a one bedroom govt unit, I do have a air-con that I try not to use for too long Hot water is taken care of through communal solar panels.I do have a fish tank so 1 pump all the time and one light maybe 10 hours, I do listen to music nearly all day maybe 2 hrs at night for TV. I also have a C-pap machine on every night. I believe my usage per day is &4.96  How do I bring that cost down??? Would appreciate your help.

16 REPLIES 16
Kezboss
Semiconductor
1 Reply 4112 Views

You mentioned the outside part of a split system air-conditioning unit consuming power all the time, even when not in operation. How/ why does it do that? And how can I stop it?

Caban
Super Nova
1 Reply 4109 Views

@Kezboss 

The reason is that they need the oil in the compressor to be at the correct temperature. The same models are sold all over the world in a variety of ambient temperatures. It is common to have a small heater of about 60 to 120 Watts to regulate this. 
You can manage this by turning the outside unit off from the circuit breaker. When you wish to use the unit again switch it on a short time (I would guess about an hour would do it) before you wish to run the unit. 

Kezboss
Semiconductor
1 Reply 4064 Views

@Caban @If the oil is for the heater, would I still need to wait a while after turning it back on at the meter before using the air con

Caban
Super Nova
1 Reply 4059 Views

@Kezboss

The heater is for the oil. To let the oil reach the correct temperature you need to give it some time. I would think about an hour should be sufficient.

Kezboss
Semiconductor
2 Replies 4055 Views

@Caban yes but it's summer so I will be using air con, not heater. So do you think I would still need to wait after turning the power supply back on? 

Deepesh_AGL
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 4048 Views

Hi Kezboss, You can find more energy saving tips by visiting Energy saving tips. Cheers, Deepesh

Caban
Super Nova
0 Replies 4045 Views

@Kezboss 

Personally I would always give it an hour before running the air conditioner/s. The Compressor is working the same on both cycles, just the heat is being pumped in different directions. In the Winter the sump oil will be cooler but I would err on the side of caution.

Have you checked if the model you have is fitted with a Crankcase Heater?

I checked last week for a friend last week with a Mitsubishi Commercial unit. It did not have a heater.