Turn hot water to daytime heating

Tereza
Switched-on
3 Replies 27760 Views

I would like to heat our water during the day to take advantage of our solar. How do I turn off the “off peak” feature?

10 REPLIES 10
will36
Superconductor
1 Reply 27124 Views

@Tereza 

You will need to contact a local electrician to:

1. Move your hot water circuit from the off peak terminal to the standard tariff terminal on your meter.

2. Put a timer on the hot water circuit to only run during the day or use a hot water diverter like this one https://www.catchpower.com.au/.

3. Put a work request to the local electricity distributor to remove the off peak tariff programming internally in the meter. (Electricity retailer might also do this - Depends on your state)

However most of the time, this is a false sense of economy as the off peak tariff is usually around the price you get for solar export. So you will spend $400-$800 installing timers/hot water diverters to save 2c or 3c per kWh. (That's a long payback)

Vernon7311
Semiconductor
0 Replies 26901 Views

@Tereza wrote:

I would like to heat our water during the day to take advantage of our solar. How do I turn off the “off peak” feature? myindigocard

If you are leaving the house empty for more than a few days, it should be safe to leave your heating on, however, even if you do turn off the water. It can be useful to have your central heating ticking over on a low temperature while you're not there with the help of a smart thermostat.

kimmelpc
Semiconductor
1 Reply 6264 Views

If the hot water is not on off-peak, will the hot water elec geyser still turn on -  on weekends when it is off peak time?  Thanks

Lester
Powerhouse
1 Reply 6208 Views

@kimmelpc . . . is your HWS on an old analogue meter, or a newer digital (smart) meter ?

kimmelpc
Semiconductor
2 Replies 6204 Views

Digital. Thanks

Lester
Powerhouse
1 Reply 6200 Views

Hi again @kimmelpc 

I should have asked if you have CL (controlled load) metering too, usually on a separate meter, but not always with a fully communicating smart meter.

It can be you have a single digital meter and are on single (fixed) tariff, with CL, but this is unusual now, power cos / retailers are pushing as many onto TOU (time of use) as much as possible.

Have a read of these 2 pages, the highlighted info here re CL1 and CL2 . . .

https://www.canstarblue.com.au/electricity/controlled-load-tariff-can-save-money/#:~:text=Controlled....

Also this page has some info that might help solve your inquiry . . .

https://engie.com.au/help-centre/moving-connections-metering/electricity-tariffs-explained#:~:text=I...

It sounds like you are on single / fixed tariff, with CL, mentioning off peak rate on weekends, if so, it is usual for this tariff to charge you at the off peak rate like it would between 2330 and 0630 each night / early morning.

(This is SA off peak hours, they vary with different suppliers around Oz.)

Deepesh_AGL
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 6195 Views

Hi kimmelpc, We can certainly look into your account to get a better understanding of your current configuration. I will send you a private message shortly to discuss further. Cheers, Deepesh

kimmelpc
Semiconductor
1 Reply 6195 Views

Fuse Box ELEC.JPEG

My Q was in relation to my Fronius solar inverter. I have set Load Management to turn on my HWS when 2kw excess power is generated, but it does not seem to be working on weekends, as HWS is NOT on Off Peak.... thanks

Lester
Powerhouse
0 Replies 6083 Views

Hi @kimmelpc that meter box is complex, is there a digital and an old analogue meter in there ?

Hopefully AGL rep can shed some light, and you might need to talk to a solar installer (with Fronius knowledge) about it too.

Your original solar co is best no doubt, they should be able to pin point what's going on.

I can't tell if your digital is on TOU or fixed / singe tariff, that'd be obvious on your billing.

From what you typed, I'd guess you are single tariff, and just want the solar to power the HWS, which is obviously ideal.

Be aware you might not be generating enough in winter on some days, but I have no idea of your system and capability etc.