meter reading

itallcounts
Switched-on
1 Reply 945 Views

Why is it there is a specific  field to select "add meter read" but i am unable to enter anything - blocked  by text Smart meter read taken automatically.

3 REPLIES 3
Lester
Powerhouse
1 Reply 940 Views

Smart meters eliminate the need to do readings, like some might do on the old analogue meters, typically when estimated reads might be used by a retailer and are WAY too high.

Digital meters are (supposedly) totally accurate and make any need for entering manual readings obsolete.

itallcounts
Switched-on
1 Reply 931 Views

Thanks Lester,

I understand that aspect however, your response does not answer my question.  

There is a field in the online form associated with my account/payments/billing  for gas and electricity. I provide my own meter read for gas where indicated/directed to do so, however, when I attempt to provide meter read for electricity (where indicated/directed to do so) the system will not accept input. Then I ma advised that it is read by a smart meter. so WHY have the section to fill in your meter read?

Lester
Powerhouse
0 Replies 927 Views

@itallcounts 

"Why is it there is a specific  field to select "add meter read" but i am unable to enter anything - blocked  by text Smart meter read taken automatically. ? "

Was pretty clear, and my reply was correct with smart meters not requiring anything in the way of a manual meter read, they are pretty much connected to AGL, your app, etc, all be it info coming up near the end of the next day.

Smart meter read taken automatically means pretty much what it says.

You obviously have an AGL account, app ?

You can see electricity reading updates later next day on there ?

The gas meter manual read may well be something you can do, not sure, we've never had a gas connection.

" when I attempt to provide meter read for electricity (where indicated/directed to do so) the system will not accept input. Then I am advised that it is read by a smart meter. so WHY have the section to fill in your meter read?"

Have you been asked to / directed to take an electricity meter read ?

The section is likely just there by default, and the reply you get 'that it is read by a smart meter' is what it is.

Hopefully someone with AGL can reply and confirm or give you another reasoning for the confusion about the manual read entry option being present.

All the best with getting a reply you are happy with.