Smart Meter doesn't send data.

EricTheRed
Conductor
1 Reply 3714 Views

I'm sure I'm heading for bill shock on Judgement Day. 

My meter won't upload data so have been on estimated usage for 5 months.  This meter has had these issues since it was installed in November last year to replace a meter that was working just fine.

It's well known that customers cannot submit meter readings if they have a smart meter, even if it's not so smart.

It's the middle of winter and my most recent estimated usage bill (Aug 22) shows a credit applied because of my solar panels.  That's inconsistent with recent years' actual reads for this time of year as our main form of heating is r/c a/c.

I've been in touch with the contractor many times and they will not advise when they are coming to attend, so they leave a card in the letter box as the meter is behind a locked gate. I call them to arrange a date as instructed and they never get back to me.

I have escalated to AGL resolutions and followed up. Dale in Resolutions sent me a text on 06 July 2022 saying he was still working on it, but no contact since then. I've sent in an online complaint.  No response.

At least electricity supply is unaffected. 

I hope the next contact will be an invitation to the AGL office happy hour.  I could use a drink.

11 REPLIES 11
Pagey
Switched-on
1 Reply 188 Views

I've had an "exhausting" experience with AGL back and forth regarding my issues sending data back from my meter. Not as long as you, however extremely frustrating. 

EricTheRed
Conductor
0 Replies 182 Views

Hi Pagey

What I really didn't like was being blamed for it.  "We've tried to contact you" "They've left messages for you" "We've left cards in your letterbox"  "We've sent multiple texts".  All of it BS, like I was having some fun game with them over nearly 2 years.  I think what was really happening was that I was exposing the poor communication processes, structure and lack of customer focus in a big company.  Too many points of failure so they victim-blame because that could be the only reason things aren't being done, right?

The good part was that their algorithm was crediting solar more than I reckon I would have collected in reality!

But I'd had enough.  Doing the same thing and expecting a different result is the definition of crazy.

So I shifted my electricity account to Origin.  I didn't tell them anything about the meter. They noticed the comms issue in a few weeks and sent a technician around.  The tech found the locked gate, called me and said that someone would be in touch to arrange a date.  In 24 hours I got a call and set a date. The tech attended, fixed the problem and I've had no trouble since. I can see daily readings on the Origin Dashboard.

Easy right? Wasn't this all I was trying to get AGL to do?

Oh, and AGL shifted my electricity credit to my gas account.  At least they got that right... eventually.  Yes, I had to chase that, too.  Threatening with the Emergency Services Ombudsman may have helped, I don't know.

They've since offered me a $25 credit to return.  I reckon they're missing a few '0's from the offer, haha!