Feed In Kwh descepency

1Pixie1
Semiconductor
1 Reply 1707 Views

Hi there...

just want to know if imy understanding is correct for the Feed in tarrif and Kwh i return to the grid.

There is a descrpency between what my smart meter is showing me with regards to what i returned to the grid and the information AGL is showing me for the same (Solar Electricity Sold to Grid). The AGL readings are showing less Kwh.

For example on

20/07 

AGL (Solar Electricity Sold to Grid 😞  6.3 KWh

Fronius App (Electicity to Grid):  15.75 KWh

19/07

AGL (Solar Electricity Sold to Grid 😞  8.30 KWh

Fronius App (Electicity to Grid):  13.15 KWh

14/07

AGL (Solar Electricity Sold to Grid 😞  7.90 KWh

Fronius App (Electicity to Grid):  15.54 KWh

Any reason you see fo rhis to hapen ? 

Note , installed the system 29days ago. The reading in AGL is saying Estimated still . Could this be the issue , is it calibrating for the first 30 days ? 

Thanks

Below the eaxmple screenshot for th 14th July : Screenshot at 2023-07-23 19-32-31.pngScreenshot at 2023-07-23 19-37-19.png

4 REPLIES 4
NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 1701 Views

@1Pixie1 

Hi,

Lets see if I can explain this simply

The Only data you have supplied fully is for the 14th July 23.

Now I only see two things here.

Your Fronious reports it generated 23.99 kWh

AGL Reports that you exported 7.9 kWh

23.99 - 7.9 means that you self consumed 16.09 kWh of what you generated and these are the only known facts.

Your report from your system

NeilC_1-1690114836793.png

Is what you need to investigate.  AGL reports that you self consumed about 16kWh yet your Fronious reports that you only self consumed 1.2 kWh.

Now given that this is a new system lets look at what you would have consumed if you did not have solar.

You used 9.27kWh and your consumption based on Generation - AGL exported is 16 kWh so your USAGE for the day is 25.27 kWh for the day.

NeilC_2-1690115877687.png

25 kWh is not a high value for you and according to the usage chart above is not unexpected

The unknowns are this Froniuos system you are using that you seem to be relying on. I had a quick look at the web site and can see there are lots of options such as batteries etc.

I am confused that you only consume directly 1.2kWh on the 14th, yet you produced 24kWh  Energy Wattpilot and self consumption took 8.5 kWh which leaves 15.5 kWh, now AGL says only 9.3 kWh got exported through the meter that leaves 6.2kWh that evaporated from your system.

I would suggest that you ring Fronious and ask them to check your system.

If you system has a pickup that measures usage via a separate device it may be incorrectly placed or be faulty.

AGL will only pay you for the amount that your smart meter indicates that you have exported.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
1Pixie1
Semiconductor
1 Reply 1684 Views

Hi Neil , thanks for coming back on this.

>>I am confused that you only consume directly 1.2kWh on the 14th, yet you produced 24kWh  Energy Wattpilot and self consumption took 8.5 kWh which leaves 15.5 kWh, now AGL says only 9.3 kWh got exported through the meter that leaves 6.2kWh that evaporated from your system.<<

I think there is some confusion and its my fault as I haven't been clear on what the watt Pilot is .

I forgot to mention that I have an EV charger (Watt Pilot). The Wattpilot is programmed to work/charge  ONLY on Solar energy meaning when there is solar excess and the car is charged. So WattPilot is consumption and its calculated as such by the meter.

So with the above if I review the numbers for the 14th July are as follows .

Production : 23.99 kWh for the day

Energy WattPilot (car charging (meaning consumption) : 7.25 kWh

Consumed Directly (other appliances): 1.20kw

Energy to Grid : 15.54 kWh

Total consumption = 7.25 +1.20 kWh = 8.45 kWh

Production - Total Consumption = 23.99 - 8.45 kWh = 15.54 send back to the grid.

But lets use another day and lets take out the Watt Pilot , lets pick a day where I didn't charge the car.

23rd July 

1Pixie1_1-1690191442898.png

AGL shows solar sold to grid = 7kWh

The same day Fronius smart meter gives 25 kWh electricity to Grid. 

1Pixie1_2-1690191566478.png

1Pixie1_3-1690191705769.png

Using Fronius g24 and there =is no battery storage installed ,only solar in the morning that is consumed directly. Rest is returned to grid.

Any idea what I am missing here ? maybe  there is something i don't get on the way this is calculated in either side..

thanks...

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 1680 Views

@1Pixie1,

Look at the usage chart you supplied originally, it shows that you were using up to nearly 30kW some days the figures are now much lower.

Now I have a Goodwe Inverter (Rated 5kW).

NeilC_0-1690193671204.png

This is the output from my inverter yesterday 23 July23. I generated 14.9 kWh.

Yesterday I consumed 3.62 kWh of that and put into the grid 11.283 kW.

NeilC_1-1690194312342.png

The top row is the amount that I put into the grid, the bottom row is the time (24h format) that it occurred.

So from 08:00 to 08:30 I exported .13kWh (etc etc).

Just for interest sake. Below is what I consumed from the grid during this same period.

NeilC_2-1690194767863.png

This is the data supplied by the download file from My Account page, which I process via two computer programs that I have written.

I also have the same data (but in 5 min format) supply by my Distributor (SA Power networks).

Here is the graph that AGL supplies

NeilC_3-1690195215554.png

I can tell you that this graph is correct but the times are incorrect. Where the day starts at 12AM that is the power I consumed from 00:00 to 1:00 so that should be my 1AM reading and the start of the day.

I don't know how to say this but in this way.

Now you have explained Watt Pilot, I understand that. That is the power that it put to your car charging socket and the consumed power is the power consumed to convert the power to Watt Pilot socket.

The next bit of your report is the energy that is not consumed by the process above and it correctly states that there is XX.xx kWh which it passes on to your meter box.

What you must understand now is that you appliances in the house will consume as much of that power as it can.

In my statement about is that figure "leaves 6.2kWh that evaporated from your system."  which is the amount your house consumed from that days output.

Without having a sensor further down the system (ie on the output side of your meter) Fronious has no idea how much power you consumed from the EXCESS that is stated as "ENERGY TO THE GRID".

The power that you consume from this is important to you because this is THE FREE POWER you are getting from your system.

So besides any actual income you get paid for, you must include that in your savings against the cost of your system.

We took 18 months to recover the full cost of $3199 for our installation back in Jan 2019 and all we got was the 20c per kWh at that time and tracking all of the savings that we made.

Below is the Solar information for this billing period

NeilC_4-1690197561038.png

You can see what I generated during the day and when I did it, I can also tell you the costings etc.

Now I heat my hot-water during the day (heat pump) and this consumes 2 to 2.5 kWh of my generation each day.

All this I have on a spreadsheet>>>

NeilC_5-1690197859858.png

Here it is on my House Hold sheet

NeilC_8-1690199679026.png

Only 19% into this billing cycle and the Bill Due is a prediction of what the bill should be after 90 days.

So to avoid bill shock I should pay 14* $1.50 or $21 a fortnight to pay off the bill.

By the way the debit is the amount due if I do not add any more credit to my AGL account.

Now I hope you understand it all now. Basically your Energy to the Grid is what is remaining not used of your generation, but the house then consumes whatever it can and any remaining gets exported and measured by your smart meter.

I should also point out that your graph for the 23rd July also shows that you were consuming power whilst you were exporting power which occurs quite often.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
1Pixie1
Semiconductor
0 Replies 1669 Views

Hi Neil , thanks again for the detailed explanation & the time to get this together. 

I think I will start calculating/measure the same values in an automated way. I have the Fronius now in Home Assistant  and it gives you much more data fields to work with.

I will start gather the same data more or less to see what is really send out to grid. 

Will check with the guys who installed it as well to confirm some data.

Thanks