EDMI Atlas Mk10d meter - how to see live usage

Dimitryp
Conductor
4 Replies 72757 Views

Hello,

I currently have an EDMI Mk10d meter installed, and got a Solar system installed a month back. The meter has been reconfigured and i'm feeding into the grid and all that, all of that is fine.

I presently have codes 03 and 13 available on the meter, which show my cumulative usage from the grid (from the time the meter was installed?), and also my cumulative feed-in back to grid.

What i would really like to do is to be able to see live usage for my house, i.e. when i switch on my 2kw kettle, i want to walk to the meter and it should show "2kw current live usage" (lets just assume i have no stand-by appliances). 

I used to be able to see this when i had a different brand of electronic (but not smart?) meter about a year back, but then this got switched out by AGL for the EDMI Mk10d.

Additionally seeing live feed-in kwh's (what solar is feeding into the grid this second) would also be very useful.

I emailed AGL support about this, and they asked me to ring PLUS ES (the smart meter maintenance people, from what i can tell), but they told me that what i'm asking for is not possible.

Is this really true? No way to see live usage in your house? Very frustrating if that is the case.

thanks,

Dimitry

27 REPLIES 27
Michael2
Switched-on
1 Reply 9862 Views

Is the number at register 13 to amount of Kwh for which we receive a tariff credit?

-Steve-
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 9848 Views

Hi Michael2,

You can find the information on how to read your meter by visiting the following link.

https://www.agl.com.au/help/meters-connections/how-to-read-your-gas-electricity-meter

Slartibartfast
Switched-on
1 Reply 9789 Views

Hi Dimitryp,

Looking through the answers you got, I don’t think anyone really understood your question and what you are trying to do 🙂

I have the same meter type as you, and by looking online to find the manual for it, I think I can answer your question, although it does depend on how the meter was programmed.

This meter has two data sets it can display - Set A and Set B.  Set A is shown by default, and usually has only minimal information.  In my case, it is 03 (cumulative grid import) 13 (cumulative grid export), both of which are since the meter was installed, and date and time. That’s it.

You want data Set B.  To show that, press the “Select” button on the meter for 1 second.  You can then scroll through the Set B data (it will auto scroll through spending a couple of seconds on each data item, else press the “Select” button quickly to step to the next data item).

My meter steps through the following: L1 voltage, L2 voltage, L3 voltage, L1 current, L2 current, L3 current, PF (Power Factor), and instantaneous net usage (kWh).  To go back to Set A, press Select again for 1 second, or just leave it to auto-scroll through all the data items in Set B and it will revert to Set A.

So while you can’t see instantaneous power in kW on any given phase, you can see instantaneous current which is good enough (multiply by 230V to get watts).

Cheers.

t8ke0ver
Semiconductor
1 Reply 7348 Views

Dear Schander,

Like your knowledge of metering, I need your help if you don't mind.

I just got an EDMI meter MK10E. I am trying to connect my RTU to it to get data in realtime. The meter comes with a modem, but I do not want the modem, I want to use the RS232 Modbus to connect and move data to the cloud. What is your Idea? 

Schander
Stellar
1 Reply 7342 Views

Hi t8ke0ver,

I understood from your post that you want to do some type of Serial Data Logging from your EDMI meter and push that data to the cloud.  Is my understanding correct?

Is reliability of the data logging important in this scenario?  If so, why wouldn't you go the route of using Ethernet (Modbus TCP) and move past the entire serial experience?

Also, from a security of data perspective, you would benefit from some type of mediator box like a Modbus-to-SNMP mediator. It takes the Serial Modbus (RS-232) and converts the message to SNMP. You get better encryption of the data via SNMP when sending the data via IP to the cloud.

Also, with serial, in case there are communication errors from trying to read data from the registers, this would require some type of "Error Handling" to ensure the right data is sent to the cloud.

From your post, I didn't have enough information as to the use-case-scenario or your acceptance criteria or an explanation of why you wanted to try the Serial data logging method as opposed to the modern IP data logging, hence the above is what I could offer as suggestions.

Please note, I'm not an Engineer, but someone with an IT background. 

Regards,

Schander

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!
This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
t8ke0ver
Semiconductor
0 Replies 7332 Views

Many thanks, Schander

KBASEADMIN
Switched-on
1 Reply 3925 Views

Hi Slartibartfast,

I have recently had a solar system installed and I have a similar use case to Dimitry. 

The Solis inverter has a pretty good companion app that can report live consumption, export power etc - provided you have a connection to the smart meter. I also have the Atlas Mk10D provided by AGL. 

On the Solis side its pretty simple.. a 2-pin connection port is provided for linking to the meter. 

On the Mk10D side however it is not clear where, or even if, you can connect these two wires to be able to receive the consumption data. I have been reading the huge EDMI Atlas Mk10 manual ...it's not jumping out at me...though there are many comms connection points in there.

Any ideas on where to connect the inverter so it can receive the CT data?

Dimitryp
Conductor
0 Replies 3920 Views

The way i solved my problem in the end is buying and Efergy Engage hub and monitor to monitor my actual usage.

Has a small transmitter that clips onto the wires in your Electricity Box and then sends the data wirelessly (bluetooth i think, it doesnt use a sim card or anything) to a small hub device that you'd set up next to your Wifi Router. The hub device plugs into your Wifi Router and sends the data to the Efergy portal, from which you can view live usage details.

It's here:

https://engage.efergy.com/

Weirdly, if you go the products page and try to buy one, all products go to a "page not found". Some temporary website error perhaps? The actual portal is currently functioning for me so the service isnt dead..

Works pretty well all up and i think i paid $300 once-off for the Efergy device (no ongoing costs), and that was back in 2019.