Connect air conditioner to controlled load

homeenergysaver
Conductor
1 Reply 4643 Views

Hi

I have ducted air conditioning that needs replacement. The existing hot water system was connected to controlled load 1. Am I also able to connect the air conditioner to controlled load and change both to controlled load 2?

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
NeilC
Powerhouse
2 Replies 4613 Views

@homeenergysaver,

Connecting your air-conditioner to a controlled load would mean that it would only be available during Off Peak hours (23:00 to about 06:00 in most States).

To run it during the day you would have to manually push the by-pass switch to use it (this is Peak Rates).

If you have two controlled loads you would be better off to have the heater on one and AC on two (if both are available).

Other wise if you press the bypass button then you may be heating your hot-water at peak rates during the day.

You will have to pay for an electrician to wire up both connections.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Neil

If this solves your question please re-solve this, either way please press the like button if you find it helpful.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
homeenergysaver
Conductor
1 Reply 4572 Views

Thanks @NeilC. I have since contacted Essential Energy, who are the distributors in my area of NSW. They confirmed that I am not able to connect AC to CL. My intent was to change to CL2 that provides 16 hours per day but will need to look at other options for AC. It might be time to upgrade my solar system after all.

NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 4560 Views

@homeenergysaver 

Thank you very much.

I did answer your question, but you didn't like my post.

A controlled load that is 16 hours per day is a surprise for me.

Peak hours are normally 15:00 to 23:00 (i.e 8 hours) then 06:00 till 09:00 (3 hours) so that is 11 hours per day.

So Peak hours are 11 hours a day.

Most companies have shoulder rates, but it appears that Essential Energy allows you 3 hours into their Peak hours ( which affects your AGL charges as well).

Thanks for the update.

Cheers Neil

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Barney867
Conductor
1 Reply 4510 Views

@Dunkinrunsonyou wrote:

Connecting your air-conditioner to a controlled load would mean that it would only be available during Off Peak hours (23:00 to about 06:00 in most States).

To run it during the day you would have to manually push the by-pass switch to use it (this is Peak Rates).

If you have two controlled loads you would be better off to have the heater on one and AC on two (if both are available).

Other wise if you press the bypass button then you may be heating your hot-water at peak rates during the day.

You will have to pay for an electrician to wire up both connections.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Neil

If this solves your question please re-solve this, either way please press the like button if you find it helpful.

I'm in the process of buying an A/C, and wanted to try and reduce the running costs a bit. With your "Appliance off peak 33" What kind of appliance do you have connected?

homeenergysaver
Conductor
0 Replies 4496 Views

Hi Barney867

i had a hot water system with rooftop solar tubes connected to Controlled Load1 previously. I have since replaced with a hot water heat pump that is not currently connected to controlled load so I can use solar panels for it. In my area of northern nsw the distributor Essential Energy reserves Controlled Load for heating and some other specific appliances such as pool pumps. This means I am not able to connect my air conditioner to it. There is more information in this link. Hope that helps.
cheers
https://www.essentialenergy.com.au/-/media/Project/EssentialEnergy/Website/Files/Our-Network/FactShe...