What are your best power-saving tips? $$$

alishakihn
Switched-on
11 Replies 19947 Views

With elec prices thru the roof, my boyfriend recently asked if he could turn off the fridge during peak time to save money. That's a really dumb idea, but I would like to hear some good ones. The stingier the better!

I always use the timers on my washer and drier to only run them at cheap times, and I never overfill the kettle (uses a surprising amount of power to boil a full kettle)

31 REPLIES 31
sojolee
Semiconductor
1 Reply 620 Views

I didn't know that as split system don't necessarily have a PowerPoint to turn of is it same as hot water system they have pilot light to

Caban
Super Nova
0 Replies 614 Views

The part of the system inside the house can be turned off with the remote. This is what is called "Turning Off" and it is assumed that the unit now does not consume any power. This is true for the inside section.

The outside part can be different. When it is turned off from inside some models still continue to consume power due to the presence of a Crank Heater. If this is in your model then the only way to turn it off is at the circuit breaker on the switchboard. This can be done if the unit will not be used for some time. When you wish to use it again turn it back on a few hours before use.