Controlled Load Meter required with Solar & heat pump ?

Mr_T
Switched-on
3 Replies 4844 Views

I just upgraded to a Smart Meter and usage results are now starting to populate.

The controlled Load Meter was also replaced.

I can see a very high drain on consumption from 1am - 2am.

This can only be Hot Water through controlled Load.

I have Solar and recently upgraded to an iStore 270L Heat Pump

Is the Controlled Load Meter now obsolete with better savings had by running the Heat Pump say 10am-3pm on a standard plan (solar sponge) Shoulder Tariff ?

Or how do I go about switching the Heat Pump usage to Controlled Load Shoulder from 9.30am - 3.30pm ? 

4 REPLIES 4
NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 4833 Views

@Mr_T 

Hi,

To switch your controlled load I believe that you will to engage the services of an electrician, as it is on a different output on your smart meter.

When I had my heat pump installed I got the installer to connect the unit to my main circuit and I programed the start for 1100 and the stop for 1800.

The unit normally takes less than 2.5 hours to heat the water and it uses my solar if it is producing power ( which on 99% of days it does).

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
-Olgi-
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 4826 Views

Hi @Mr_T,

Welcome to AGL Neighbourhood!

To connect your heat pump to Controlled Load meter, you will need to contact an electrician so they can do this for you. 

Thanks,

-Olgi-

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 4823 Views

@Mr_T @-Olgi- 

Now I have had a look at the iStore 270L Heat Pump instruction and installation manual.

The company sells this on the premise that you will be using your solar output to drive your Heat Pump.

To this end this should have been connected to your normal house wiring and configured using the timer.

Now I do note that this does not appear to have battery backup and in the fault finding they indicate for a not running reason that a power surge has occurred.

I have a heat pump and the model I have does not have battery backup and in the case of a power failure we have to reset the clock to the correct time and set the start stop times, if the unit is not re-set then the unit will operate in manual mode and simply start when the water in the storage tank reaches a set temperature.

Have you set the clock on your unit to a start time?.

Is the unit blank during the day (ie no power)?.

Have you read the user manual?

I also note that you have not taken any time to like any of the replies, which does not encourage people like myself to continue giving this free help.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Mr_T
Switched-on
0 Replies 4815 Views

Cheers NeilC,

Appreciate your time.

Perhaps I'm not in my email as often as I should be...

I will be exploring the removal of the CL Meter, if in fact, my HP IS connected through it.

Your note of battery backup is priceless !

First stop - check the operation times and go from there.

Many Thanks !

Mr T.