Home wind generation and the grid

RufusGardener
Conductor
1 Reply 1701 Views

I am connected to the grid and supplement power consumption with solar panels and AGL offsets with feedin credits. I am contemplating installing  a small wind generator to add to the system. May I do this and still connect to the grid? Are there any restrictions on feed in tariffs?

8 REPLIES 8
Lester
Powerhouse
1 Reply 1675 Views

You don't say where you are, but I feel most councils (unless very remote, no impact of neighbours etc) would not allow wind turbines.

More of an off grid country style setting would be fine.

I also don't think grid connected authorities or energy retailers would like wind turbines thrown into the grid that's already getting heavy with residential solar generation.

It would be GREAT if they would in the 'burbs, the right compact, low noise / visual impact type turbines, as complimenting solar with any wind day or especially night would be awesome.

There are some really nice turbines that are made 'outside the box' that would suit . . . Archimedes style, vortex bladeless, Aeromine style no moving parts systems etc.

RufusGardener
Conductor
1 Reply 1665 Views

I’m at Cape Jervis in SA. The council allows wind generators subject to restriction on noise and height. I think I can conform to those. My dilemma is to compare costs of batteries with possible offsets in sales to the grid obviating purchases of power when wind or sunlight can’t generate sufficiently 

Lester
Powerhouse
1 Reply 1647 Views

"to compare costs of batteries with possible offsets in sales to the grid obviating purchases of power when wind or sunlight can’t generate sufficiently "

Good plan @RufusGardener 

We are in that process now, assessing new solar and how much it generates (or doesn't) on particular days to meet household needs, and excess to put into a proposed battery into the coming months.

I want to put excess power (quite a bit) into a decent 10-13 kwh battery to use at night, perhaps charge a modest EV for suburban use in the future sometime . . . not give our excess power away for 6c and someone sells it on for 50c +.

I can see wind down your way would be fine, both in having it there most times of day / evening, and for permissions.

Pretty sure I've seen them around the Cape Jervis area when driving through here and there.

Batteries suitable for grid use are expensive !

But they are very different to ones your could use for an off grid setup and need compatibility / safety for grid connection.

Then there are the smart features of the battery (and / or inverter) to run the battery the way you want automatically.

Good luck with the research.

RufusGardener
Conductor
1 Reply 1644 Views
Thanks.
I’m hoping for enough info (or permission) to compare connecting wind/ solar (without a battery) to the grid with wind/solar and battery off grid - assuming: sales to grid covering supply charges and purchases (6 sales to one purchase ratio).
It may not be feasible,
I need some answers from AGL to proceed with financial and technical analyses.
David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
1 Reply 1536 Views

Hi @RufusGardener that's an interesting question. Let me follow up with the appropriate team. I know there are restrictions on inverter and solar system size around our Solar Savers plan, but I'm not sure about the addition of wind generators.

RufusGardener
Conductor
1 Reply 1504 Views

Thankyou. I await your response

David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
1 Reply 1386 Views

Hi @RufusGardener - sorry for the delay on this one. Unfortunately the answer is no, per the terms and conditions ofthe plan you would not be eligible to receive feed-in tariffs from wind generation.

The T&Cs for SA (https://www.agl.com.au/content/dam/digital/agl/documents/terms-and-conditions/energy/agl-solar-feed-...) state that you can only receive FiT from one qualifying facility at the supply address, and also state that a "qualifying facility" refers to a solar system, with an inverter capacity of 10kVa or less.

RufusGardener
Conductor
0 Replies 1381 Views
Thanks

Get Outlook for iOS<>