Demand rate and Downloaded data meaning

AGLJohn123
Semiconductor
1 Reply 2222 Views

I have just received my bill where the Demand Rate Usage Number does not reflect my daily / hourly usage on the web site. The number used I understand is supposed to be the highest usage in any 30 minute period during the designated Demand tarrif hours (I believe 1600-2100 each day). This number multiplied by 2 will then give the KWh figure for the charge calculation. The AGL bill number is 30% larger than any number I can find in my daily usage numbers. In additio, I have downloaded the CSV numbers and extyracted all data for the bill period and again, there are no numbers which come even close to the SAGL bill number. Can anyone explain the columns in the CSV file for Start Date / Time (is this local time and date as QLD does not have daylight saving time), what are the ProfileReadValue numbers (listed every 30 minutes which I have assumed are the smart meter KW numbers used in that 30 minute period - Is this correct). I would like to tie up the numbers to reconsile my bill with usage data and from what I can see, AGL is overcharging all thie time. Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
_Mark_
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 2217 Views

Hi @AGLJohn123. What we'll do is just take a look at the bills and data for you, and check for any discrepencies. I'll send you a private message to get started! Regards- Mark.

AGLJohn123
Semiconductor
1 Reply 2197 Views

Hi Mark,

Just so you know I have also raised a specific request by Tel with you asking the same questions. Basically, tieing up the csv data with the numbers used to calculate the bill would be useful. In particular, I wanted to confirm actual local time for Demand rate calculations and selection of the highest 30 minute usage and if the csv date reflects Queensland time or the more general east coast summer time which is one hour different. Thanks

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 2192 Views

@AGLJohn123 @_Mark_ 

John,

If you log onto your account click on your UserName.

Then select Account settings

Then select Properties and Plans

Then select under Electricity your plan View.

You will see the current Tariffs and any applicable tariff times.

I have TOU (Time of Use) in SA and the times listed for me are:

Peak charges apply 6am to 10am and 3pm to 1am and Shoulder (Solar sponge) charges apply 10am to 3pm every day. Off peak charges apply at all other times. Controlled Load Peak charges apply 6:30am to 9:30am and 3:30pm to 11:30pm everydayControlled Load Off peak charges apply 11:30pm to 6:30am everydayControlled Load Shoulder charges apply 9:30am to 3:30pm everyday.

A quick look on the Energy Made Easy  web site for AGL Brisbane post code shows prices of 19.22 cents per kWh and an extra 12.36 cents per kW for demand charges. No times are listed so it's possible that you pay for demand at anytime.

In the matter of your usage if you have been converted to 5min readings (which I was last Oct) the file that AGL supplies still only shows your cumulative reading for each half hour, but the file that my supplier, SA Power Networks, gives me the 5 min readings. And, no AGL did not inform me of the change that they requested.

So if that is the case then it will be your highest 5 min reading * 12 (thus a kWh) and may explain why your figures to not match.

Time should be your local time but in SA are times are EST (with Daylight if applicable) and AGL don't adjust the time for SA and charge us at EST times.

Just wish we in SA were paying the prices that Qld pay. We are charged approximately double that.

If you like my response (or any post you read) please take the time to click the like button to show you appreciation.

If this resolves your issue please click solved.

Cheers Neil

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
AGLJohn123
Semiconductor
1 Reply 2183 Views

Hi Neil, As well as this post, I made a more formal request for clarification regarding my bill, Demand times and figures in the csv file. The AGL rep was very good apart from the fact that most of the 20 minute call I was  on hold and the rep basically did not have any answers and needed to speak to someone else. We finally agreed to a formal email reply as and when they could find answers as to  how they decided on the demand rate figure, when are the demand rate hours for evaluating the hightes 30 minute usage and what the times are in the csv data. It would appear that the AGL staff do not fully understand the way the bill is generated. Still no email reply yet , but I am sure I will get the correct answers in time. 

They did mention something about a 5 minute reading, but I definately had 30 minute readings in the csv data. If 5 minute readings are being used, there is no way for me to see this. 

NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 2171 Views

@AGLJohn123 

John as I stated I know I am on 5 min readings as the NEM format file that I receive from SA Power Networks has 5 min readings.

I have discussed with AGL that they should supply the file in the industry standard NEM format file.

The advantage of the NEM file is that it consists of 100 to 900 descriptors.

The important lines are 200,300 and 900 lines.

A 200 line indicates that the lines are for account # and meter # info is in kWh and 30 min intervals

A 300 line indicates the date and the next 48 columns are in readings for each half hour.

2000112345E1B1E2E1E1 U1234567KWH30  

If you have 5 min readings the file  would be as below

2002E+09E1B1E2E1E1 U1234567KWH5  

However the 300 line shows (24*12) 288 columns

Notice the smaller amount for each reading.

The date by the way is YYYYmmDD making it easy to sort in CSV format.

However if you draw a larger current the watts increase and as I stated your peak then becomes X*12 for the hour period.

I convert the AGL supplied file into a NEM format file and then process the file through a computer program to give me reports on times (I am on TOU) so I can then work out my daily usage and then use the daily average usage to calculate my predicted 90 day usage.

So the daily data I collect I put into a spreadsheet (which I started when I installed solar) to something like:

DatePeakShoulderOff PeakExportedSolar GenSol UsedMeter Solar
Carried Fwd103.3913.25361.1021186.2301417.200230.970167.7461186.230
1-Dec-222.6220.0001.36534.70842.57.79171.7331220.938
2-Dec-221.3640.0001.44337.63642.34.66174.5401258.574

From that I can manipulate the data to produce a wide range of data.

Now I could add a single line of code to calculate my demand but I don't have a demand tariff so haven't bothered but I can tell you how much I have saved on using my own solar etc etc.

Now demand tariff is supposed to help you to lower your bill but all it takes is for Peter, Paul and Mary (your kids) to turn on appliances at the same time for a spike to occur. Then you are stuck with that extra amount for at least a month.

AGL also takes anything up to 4 days to publish your data on your home page.

Also even if you do track it yourself, the BILL your receive is a legal document and if you want to dispute it you must first pay the bill.

I can tell you that AGL does not treat me as a SA user but a NSW user (ie they do not process my usage in SA time) and as such I pay a lesser bill than if they processed me as a SA user.

Anyway I know how much I use (in SA time) by about 0600 hours the next day and I get the data (including error reports).

So until you get accurate data in a timely response you will just have to lump it and see.

By the way I did ask that if you like my answers that you should click the like button. You must understand the time it takes to reply when you produce factual data.

Cheers Neil

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.