Incorrect estimation

lbailey338
Switched-on
1 Reply 280 Views

I received a 're-estimation' in November of my August 2023 bill which almost doubled the initial bill amount.

I thought that strange enough as that would count my usage as double anytime over the last 3-4 year period. I then received my November bill just a little over a week later, again with the double usage estimation. I called and queried it and was told I could organise someone to come read the meter. Easy, done. 

Except it wasn't easy, the meter is in an underground garage complex and I'd asked to be called on arrival so I could open the garage door to let the technician access the room. No call came. I got the notification that they had been unsuccessful a couple of days before Christmas. Called again and rearranged for a second time once I was home from my family christmas in Victoria. Again no call came.

Then I received a call asking me to pay the bill which I declined to do, on the proviso that it was still in dispute. I asked to speak to a supervisor when the gentleman I was speaking to said "You can believe what you want but I'm telling you the truth" when I asked why the August bill had been re-estimated and he said that it was due to a meter read.

Instead of a supervisor he put me through to the resolutions team again. Who have now organised a third meter read, which I'm almost certain will be unsuccessful.

At this point I'm looking at alternate providers and contacts for the Ombudsmen as I seem to be going around in circles.

Can anyone explain how my bills have always been so consistent and now AGL can start 'estimating' double usage without anyone being able to explain why?

3 REPLIES 3
NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 276 Views

@lbailey338,

I am a bit confused here.

"the meter is in an underground garage complex and I'd asked to be called on arrival so I could open the garage door to let the technician access the room"

Therefore the meter is not a smart meter, how does the NORMAL meter reader gain access to the garage and hence the room.

On the APP or your My Account from the web ,can you see your daily usage.

Now if it is an old meter you should be able to read it yourself????

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
lbailey338
Switched-on
1 Reply 247 Views

I don’t have access to the room as it’s locked at all times. I’ve reached out to strata management but am awaiting a response. As a renter my real estate agent also doesn’t have access.

Ive got my usage for the last 4 years from previous bills. This is the first ‘estimated’ bill I’ve received as my understanding is the electricity provider has organised dates with the strata for access to the room. 

if I can organise with strata to take a meter read I will absolutely do that 

Lester
Powerhouse
0 Replies 222 Views

Surely strata corps must leave access to meters for reading ?

Otherwise all residents are going to be in an impossible position, either paying too much or too little compounding an each bill.

It seems all your recent monthly bills are using estimated readings, but before that ?

The bills should say actual or estimated . . . usually there's a reason given for estimated read, dog present etc at my workshop for example, when someone down the end of the units has a docile old dog present.

I would ask strata to do a read on yours (and all ?) meters there, photo proof too, and give each resident the info / photo to use as they please with their own energy provider.

Or just ask for access and you take a photo, and do a manual meter read on the app / website.

Long term the strata needs to give access for actual reads all the time somehow, bring it up at the next meeting or with the units representative on the strata committee.