reprogramming my electricity metre after having solar put on my house

Emz1
Switched-on
1 Reply 508 Views

3 REPLIES 3
Lester
Powerhouse
1 Reply 484 Views

Not much to go on here, what are you asking for ?

Normally, your solar company will arrange all aspects of new digital meter (if not already there and suitable), arrange with the power distributor / supplier for you to get the ok to have solar on (discover site export limit, correct meter for 2 way data, etc), and contact the retailer to advise you are getting it installed so they can have that on their systems.

Now, be very careful and do contact your supplier yourself, IF you want to have any control over what plan you end up on.

If you do nothing, you will likely be on a TOU (time of use) tariff, and this isn't too bad IF you use power at times to suit solar production.

Note - This is a moot point if you are getting a battery, as you can use power anytime day or night (within reason !) if you have a battery.

Here in SA we did have a right to stay on a fixed (single rate) tariff, but you HAVE to ASK to stay on it.

It could be the same where you live, it might not be.

Be aware if your power retailer tries to put you on a demand tariff, fight it if possible !

They are a heinous plan that charges people unfairly, based on a highest interval peak demand kwh point, right across their billing period for peak use, ie you pay for more than you actually use !

profdraper
Superconductor
1 Reply 461 Views

Curious. We are considering a new solar install from scratch. What you seem to be saying is that the installers take care of the ‘changing the plan’ and FIT aspects?

We already have a smart meter, ToU EV plan in Brisbane. I was dreading going through the usual awful chat-bot or waiting on the phone for ages to be directed to a call centre - we have had nightmares with this service before (another long story).

I assume this can’t simply be done via account login, but needs some kind of [ahem] ‘communication’ with AGL. If the installers can indeed take care of it, that would be brilliant and far less stressful than the usual BS.

Lester
Powerhouse
0 Replies 459 Views

I would definitely handle the plan / tariff aspects of the solar with the retailer, if you want to change at all.

Read on though, as it seems your setup is what you will need, sans a possible change of metering.

The solar people should firstly contact the distributor / supplier, and find out export limit for the site, this can from a big part of the system best suited, as a lot of sites have an export limit of 5kw.

Was lucky to have an export limit here of 10kw, and with 3 phases, you can then go to triple that if desired, or double if using 2 phases.

For most people though, 10 - 12 kw system with 10kw inverter is ideal and should carry you through winter reasonably, but if you can possibly swing it, get a battery outright from the start.

Larger systems now are much better value, and most installers will advise getting as much as you can on the roof.

Winter is poor, especially down here, up in Brisvegas you will get longer high production months, and better output through winter no doubt.

Not 100% sure on pricing, but the Tesla Powerwall 3 (just released) should be about $18k installed from what I've read (PW2 $15k installed + a few more thou), but includes a 10kw built in inverter, so panels of whatever you choose added to that will save quite a bit from an inverter and a battery.

Getting the optional Gateway for blackout protection is probably worthwhile same, if important to you.

As you are on TOU EV plan (that's great !!), you probably only have to let the solar company advise AGL of the solar install, they can then be prepared for adding that in conjunction with Energex.

On the EV rate (here it's 8c / kwh 0000-0600) in winter you can top off your battery at that rate too if ever needed, ALL power (except CL) coming into the home in those hours is charged at 8c !!

I would ask the solar people to arrange for the CL metering to be removed from the home during the solar process, OR if there is an Energex charge for this (there might not be if the smart meter you have needs upgrading / changed further for solar) and too much cost, just have their sparky take the HWS off the CL circuit, and put it on the normal home circuit.

Your CL meter should then never get a further reading, but it might take up valuable space in your meter box.

Now, if not getting a battery, ask the installers for either a quote same time to put the HWS on a Catch Power type diverter, or for less, a dumb timer, then you can programme that for most months of the year to come on between 1000 and 1500, when you should be killing it with solar output, using that excess solar for HW instead of usual pathetic feed in.

You can probably easily charge the EV through good day solar too, and in winter (if needed) do so at EV night rate, a win either way.

If you get a battery, you really won't need a timer* based on your 2 person situation, as long as you use general power reasonably conservatively.

*Check your EV controls charging time, Teslas do this I think ?

If not, a timer might be needed on the EV charger and HWS so you CAN time it for winter if needed for EV rate time of day.