Real-time monitoring of smart meter

A-Aron
Switched-on
1 Reply 1500 Views
Hello,

After recently installing solar panels I started investigating ways to use my energy more efficiently.  As I work from home most days, I wanted to know what combinations of appliances I could use throughout the day in the most efficient way. eg if I'my solar is generating 5kw, could I run the AC, the washing machine and the dishwasher all at once? Or would I be best to run them one after the other so as not to cross the 5kw threshold? The only way to work this out accurately was to see in real time how much power was being used at any given time as appliances are turned on and off. Easy peasy. Or so I thought. 

I’ve downloaded the AGL app and as best I can see there is no ‘real-time’ usage display, only 24-48hr updates which isn’t particularly helpful. I tried to dig a little deeper and I seem to have fallen down an online rabbit hole of government conspiracies and dark web hack sites, where people much more technical than I are trying to achieve what I thought would be a very basic and obvious function of a "smart" meter.

Alas, it would seem that the powers that be really don’t want us to have access to such basic information. Can this be true? I might accept this is some inexplicable technical difficultly, but I read that customers in Victoria do indeed get to access to at least half hourly updates in real time, while us mere mortals in NSW and QLD do not get such privileges. Something smells off.

Please tell me I'm missing something very obvious here. 🙂
4 REPLIES 4
Natalie-AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 1486 Views

Hi A-Aron, Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. 

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide the data in real time, the data is generally available within 24 - 48hrs. 

We do have energy saving tips available on our website that could help you out, as we don't have the ability to see what appliances you are using. 

https://www.agl.com.au/help-support/energy/financial-support-and-customer-assistance/customer-assist...

Customers in Victoria do have access to Powerpal which is a separate device that is connected to the meter, allowing to view the data in real time. 

Kind Regards, 

Natalie 

A-Aron
Switched-on
1 Reply 1475 Views

Thanks Natalie. Curious will that Powerful device work in NSW?

Michael57
Superconductor
1 Reply 1465 Views

I haven't tried Powerpal but from what I've read it counts the blinks of the small red light on the front of the smart meter. So should work on any suitable meter.  Victoria has some deal where you can get it installed free (I think) but elsewhere you can do it yourself.  Have a look here

https://get.powerpal.net/order

Natalie-AGL
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 1446 Views

Hi @A-Aron, As long as your meter is compatible to the device.

You can find which meters are compatible by heading to https://support.powerpal.net/hc/en-us/articles/360053176634-Compatible-Meter-List

Alternatively, Powerpal are happy to help, you can send a photo of your meter to support@powerpal.net and they will check this for you. 

Kind Regards, 

Natalie