I read my meter but still people come to read it. Why?

HC1987
Semiconductor
1 Reply 10756 Views

G'day. I would like to inform you about a situation. Since I started using AGL services, I keep reading my own electric meter without a delay. Electric meter is in the house and naturally we are not home all the time. The thing is  for the last two bills (December and this month) some people visited us to read the meter even though we told them we keep reading our own meter. In December they went back after we told them this fact but today the guy said they had to check it for security or something like that and came inside. Why does this keep happening? Does the meter need to be checked regardless our own readings for security purposes? I would like to know why. Thanks in advance for your answer.

3 REPLIES 3
jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 10753 Views

Hi hasancakir1987,

Welcome to the AGL Community!

Your energy distributor (separate to AGL) are the company that attend your property every quarter to read your electricity and/or gas meter. As they're responsible for the supply of energy to your property as well as the upkeep of all related infrastructure (power lines, meters, etc), they have a vested interested in recording your energy usage as well as checking that this infrastructure is still operating in a way they'd expect.

In addition to the above, your energy distributor have no visibility of the meter readings you provide AGL which are only used for billing purposes. So, whether or not you provide AGL with these meter readings has no impact on whether or not a meter reader will attend your property.

Kind regards,

Jayden

HC1987
Semiconductor
1 Reply 10752 Views

Wow, thanks for this very informative answer  It is good to know this. Thanks a lot 🙂 

jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 10749 Views

My pleasure hasancakir1987!

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with us here if you have any questions down the track.

Cheers,

Jayden