Cost of digital meter

Jhsk
Switched-on
1 Reply 2740 Views

To AGL: the information about digital meters states "Where we exchange your existing meter for a digital meter, you won’t have to pay for any upfront standard installation costs.", please advise what other (1) costs, or (2) savings will apply if a customer chooses to go ahead.

3 REPLIES 3
NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 2728 Views

@Jhsk 

The main benefits of a Smart meter are:

• Billing will be regular and be from set dates
  • Access to a wide variety plans that may better suit your needs
  • The ability to view your data online (Note AGL could improve on this)
  • Access to your meter data as a download
  • You no longer require to have a meter reader attend on site
  • With a smart meter you can better manage your usage and avoid bill shock

However AGL could make better use of your data and present you with actual data. Currently, they show you your daily usage rather than your actual usage as per your billing.

As to additional charges for installing the meter, there should be none.

However, you could find that your meter box is not up to the current regulations and you may be required to pay for these modifications, some times even before the new meter is installed.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Jhsk
Switched-on
1 Reply 2717 Views

Thanks Neil.  That's an interesting start.

However, it does not answer my questions.

1.  You've kindly described some purported benefits in general terms.  My question was: "...what ... savings will apply...?".  I don't know, from your reply, what savings, if any, will apply.  For example: will my standing charge reduce because I'm not a customer whose house requires a visit to have a meter read?  Will I enjoy a credit due to simplified billing?  In each case, if so, how much?  There must be an answer (even if it is "No"): there's no way AGL would have proceeded this far without an answer to this sort of question.

2.  As regards costs, from your reply, I take it that I should not expect to pay any up front costs unless I have an unusual installation.  However, I still don't have an answer to whether I will be charged the actual cost of the meter over time, for example.  Or, through a higher standing charge, for example.  Do you know if customers who choose to go with the digital meter will pay for it somehow (i.e. just not up front)?  Again, AGL must have a position on this: it's inconceivable that they wouldn't.

Is this within your knowledge?  Or can you refer me on?

NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 2708 Views

@Jhsk 

There is no cost, either initially or ongoing.

Other than the benefits I listed there are no COST benefits.

The choice is yours to go for the new meter, if you do not take the new meter you can only be on a fixed rate.

Compare your fixed rate with other plans, however generally you will be paying more than need too because on a fixed rate no one knows what time of the day you use your power.

So other than what I have stated, I cannot answer your questions, nor do I believe can anyone else.

Your answers therefore would be:

1. NONE unless you change plans
  2. NO

If you want a reply from AGL I suggest you contact them via Chat or Phone.

https://www.agl.com.au/help-support/contact-us

If you click on the link above, it will take you to a new Web Page in your favourite web browser.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.