whats required for the change over to smart meter

jimmey
Conductor
1 Reply 2321 Views

just read a post on this , saying that AGL did something to there internet connection when changed over to digital meter, i could be wrong ? as digital meters send info back to supplier , how does this work . I dont get charged for that using my internet do i ? i havnt got NBN and i dont want it.

surly it uses there ( meaning AGL) technology to do this and not mine ?

sorry but this is the 3 post i have done. If i dont get answers soon i will cancell this smart meter thing and will go to another provider. Agl has become a big problem to communicate with , far too much time to get through on the phone let alone the time it takes to get the right person . And the message / chat line is not good eighther. to much time to get someone to understand in simple form what you are asking. And even more no email address ( well one that works )

3 REPLIES 3
Michael57
Superconductor
1 Reply 2311 Views

Hi Jimmey

The Smart Meters send information via their own secure wireless network.  They don't use the internet. 

Regards Michael

jimmey
Conductor
1 Reply 2300 Views
seems a good reply to me.
so the email sees im getting digital meter, conflicting information on the web sees digital meters are not always smart meter, but the email implies that when you get a digital meter its the same as smart meter where a person does not actully come out to read it . so whats the real story.
can i presume its only the meter change and everthing else remains hot warter swith electricity on off switch ect ?
Michael57
Superconductor
0 Replies 2297 Views

Hi Jimmey

I don't know anything about this stuff besides my own experience.  My house originally had one of those old analogue meters with the little dials that someone came and read.  Then they came changed that to a digital one with red LEDs that someone still came and read.  That change just meant they took out the old meter with the dials and put in the new meter with the red LEDs.  Then last year I got changed to a smart meter which is remotely read by wireless.  For me that also involved some more extensive changes due to various wiring issues in my house.  But they way they explained it to me if I had  had a more up to date meter board they would have just replaced the meter with the red LEDs with  the smart meter and left everything else alone. 

Michael