Electricity pricing from 1/7/23

Warren_Hanley
Switched-on
26 Replies 33692 Views

Hi AGL,

I have just received the new electricity rates that take effect from July 1 and I am absolutely alarmed at the increase!  This, in my opinion is nothing short of “highway robbery”.  I would like someone to contact me with regard to negotiating a better rate.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks,

Warren Hanley

102 REPLIES 102
_Mark_
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 1930 Views

Hi @beast, welcome to neighbourhood.

There have been major global energy challenges over the last year, and we have seen significant rises in wholesale energy costs in Australia.

We understand that higher energy prices will put pressure on households and businesses amidst the broader cost of living pressures Australians are facing at the moment.

We are reviewing prices regularly, and any decision to change prices is based on a detailed consideration of a range of factors including wholesale prices, network charges, customer affordability and the value we offer to our customers.

As far as i'm aware, No, the price change is not due to the closure of Liddell Power Station.

Thanks,
Mark.

_Mark_
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 1930 Views

Hi @Adam2089, it could be that you're also moving or have moved from an old fixed-rate plan to one of our variable-rate plans, which would catch up your rates to the current ones and result in a bigger increase. I can take a look for you but i'll have to send you a private message to get started. Thanks- Mark

_Mark_
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 1927 Views

Hi @PeterP1, I can take a look at your account to see if there is a better feed in tariff for you, I will send you a private message to get started. Thanks- Mark

_Mark_
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 1927 Views

Hi @Trish1945, unfortunately following a decision by energy regulators, prices have increased. This is based on factors including wholesale prices, network changes and market conditions. Please reach out here and we'll check your rates for you. Thanks- Mark.

Michael_2323
Semiconductor
0 Replies 1918 Views

The closure of AGL's Liddell power station in April has forced the wholesale price up. The more unreliable renewables that are feeding into the grid as opposed to reliable base load coal generated power will see prices increase. So much for the untruths that were told to the electorate by the current PM prior to the 2022 election. What is needed to reduce wholesale power prices is the introduction of small scale modular nuclear reactors or new HELE coal power stations. I remember the load shedding and blackouts of the late 1970's and early 1980's and this is where we are heading again. 

bcdedavis
Switched-on
1 Reply 1925 Views

Hi AGL,

I just received your email 'Your gas rates are changing' along with the proposed changes. Unfortunately whilst it details the cent value amounts, both current and increased, it fails to include the actual PERCENTAGE increase.

It has been my experience that this detail omission is generally used when certain service providers do not want the bill payer to compare the increase against the current CPI and question as to why the two values are never in alignment.

I would suggest that more transparency be applied to such changes, especially when sections of the public don't have the wherewithal to arrive at omissions such as these on their own. This can only enhance AGL's reputation of being up-front and honest in dealing with their customers. Transparency costs nothing, whereas Reputation cannot be bought.

Regards

_Mark_
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 1902 Views

Hi @bcdedavis, thanks very much for your feedback! Transparency is obviously very important for us as it is for you, so I will pass this on for you! Feel free to also head here to find a link to our feedback forms as well. Thanks- Mark.

_Mark_
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 1900 Views

Hi @Michael_2323, as far as i'm aware the closure of Liddell is not one of the factors impacting the pricing. You can find out more about why this price change is happening on our website here, and feel free to reach out to us if you would like to make sure you're on a good rate plan for you! Thanks- Mark.

QAZ
Conductor
3 Replies 1895 Views

My advice is to change providers. Few days ago I signed a 12-month contract. My general supply rate is now 28.932 cents per kWh, but will increase to 36.135 after 1 July. My controlled load rate (water heating)  is correspondingly 8.965 cents per kWh, and will be 11.187 cents per kWh. The supply charge will go up from 93 cents per day to 98 cents per day.

StuartS
Switched-on
1 Reply 1894 Views

Can you say who your provider is?