Electricity pricing from 1/7/23

Warren_Hanley
Switched-on
26 Replies 51919 Views

Hi AGL,

I have just received the new electricity rates that take effect from July 1 and I am absolutely alarmed at the increase!  This, in my opinion is nothing short of “highway robbery”.  I would like someone to contact me with regard to negotiating a better rate.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks,

Warren Hanley

102 REPLIES 102
John-T
Powerhouse
1 Reply 3563 Views

@Brian1 

Hi mate,

I live in a fairly new estate about 4-5 years old. Here in this estate council will not give approval for wood combustion slow burn heaters "against council regulations for most new estates under this council" so it is pretty hard core on everyone here.

I feel extremely sorry for several of my neighbours as we are a close knit community and many "not all" are now roughing it and using heating as a last resort. Many are coming off mortgage cliffs and are getting hit with an iron bar when they do. The price of fuel is once again going up it is a no win situation for many.

Now as for the drop in price for feed in tariffs, the problem there is as more and more people get Solar it puts more strain/pressure on a grid that cannot handle this sort of influx of power during the day and unlike gas electricity can not be dialled up and down so easily. Now the owners of the infrastructure are the Energy Distributors and they need to upgrade the network / substations etc to try and cope with this sort of grid fluctuation during the day and it costs large I am not talking.AGL or any other retailer as they do not own this part of the power infrastructure. The Retailers own the power plants that produce power that's it as far as I know.

I have not done the math on how much it costs distributors to try keep up. But they will pass on costs regardless, I am by no means trying to justify the price hikes but rather give an insight as to why this is happening.   

Personally I feel we are going way to fast for net zero emissions. We do not have the capability of getting there in the time frame this Government wants. 

WA enjoy's one of the cheapest Gas prices in the world. That is because a previous state government mandated that 15% of WA gas production is reserved for the local WA market. But again that will not last if the Federal Government push on with their accelerated net zero emissions.

I am not trying to justify the price hikes, only trying to explain the few ways the hikes can be influenced.

I do not work for AGL, I am just trying to help where I can.

This post is not a complete summary but rather a partial insight that I can give.

As for current State & Federal Governments 

Australia gets what it votes for.

Kind Regards

John

Plan:    Solar Savers

Dist:     Endeavour Energy

State:   NSW 

John-T
Powerhouse
0 Replies 3558 Views

@Brian1 

Mate the following should give you another angle on the why.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/negative-pricing-events-hit-record-levels-and-are-worse-in-coal-fired-gr...

Also come 2025 The Sun Tax for some insight

https://reneweconomy.com.au/sun-tax-gets-closer-but-not-much-clearer-as-networks-outline-solar-expor...

Regards

John

Plan:   Solar Savers

Dist:    EndeavourEnergy

State:  NSW

Brian1
Switched-on
0 Replies 3555 Views
You are not wrong there, This is the worst government we have had in a long time, Australia is being ruined by this government, you think you are doing all the right things only to find you have just threw yourself into a big hole that you cant climb out of
AMcC
Switched-on
0 Replies 3551 Views

Agree 100%

AGL calmly first telling you how they are profiteering, and then advising that they are really here for us and can advise on government schemes that can help a small part of the population, is the final straw.
For us, my calcs are that it is finally time that batteries are economical though this has nothing to to do with the paltry 5 cent rate from AGL. 

We will go elsewhere.

Our energy policy is in the hands of lunatics.

Donaldo
Conductor
1 Reply 3546 Views

I don't want to laugh at your message but AGL doesn't care about you, only profit, profit and......profit.

Redeye58
Semiconductor
1 Reply 3542 Views

My message to AGL was not funny but I agree with you about their profits and how they only care about making more and privatising our utilities was a big mistake. But how do you deal with them with so many small businesses up against the wall. It is criminal it is unjustified it is immoral and I am going to continue calling them out.

AMcC
Switched-on
0 Replies 3525 Views
I tried to make point that while they are pursuing record profits they pretend they care/want to help.

Sent from my iPhone
mikekc
Conductor
0 Replies 3505 Views

You must be kidding.  They won't.

adelaidean
Switched-on
0 Replies 3357 Views

truly despicable agl to put bills up 30% and them remove pay on time discount and use the line its to save confusion,my bills gone up 40%,because of you i will end up homeless or freezn cold

NedKelly
Switched-on
0 Replies 3323 Views

You are correct in stating "highway robbery". My general useage charge went from approx 22 to approx 31 from 1 July, an increase of over 40%. And we thought Ned Kelly was dead!