Questioning meter read

Ywang1
Switched-on
2 Replies 1274 Views

Can i please chat to someone about my meter read as ive had concerns about this for a number of years.

I live in a two bedroom apartment and my electricity bill for the winter months is very high for only 3 people living in the apartment where we use next to little electricity.

We use the similar amount to the summer months and if a factor in we may have the lights switched on a little longer the difference is by at least 300%.

Im suspecting that the apartment meter board maybe incorrect or the meter read is incorrect.

When i speak to family and friends. They have a 3-4 bedroom house with 5 or so people. Their electricity bill is no where near what we receive for a 2 bedroom house.

3 REPLIES 3
NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 1265 Views

@Ywang1 

I suggest that you read your own meter.

Take a reading every day at the same time and write it down for a least a week.

Don't forget to compare the first reading with your last electric bill. Then you can calculate your average daily usage so far.

To calculate the number of days you can use a spreadsheet (put the start date in one cell, then in a new cell put the formula =now() - cell reference for start date.

Other wise simply use a calender and add up the days.

Subtract bill reading (end) from the new reading, that will give you consumption.

Then divide the consumption by number of days to get average daily use ( 389 / 48 = ) 8.1 kWh per day

If you have off peak you need to do it for both meters.

I might want to suggest to you that in Winter, one (or more) of you, may be spending longer in the shower thus using more hot water.... or the fact that you have heating (heat lights / bar heater) in the bathroom that you do not use in summer.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 1255 Views

@Ywang1 

Hi again,

Just remembered that maybe two years ago, some one had a similar issue.

It eventually turned out that the apartments were wired incorrectly and that some of the neighbours wiring was connected to their meter box.

If you know your Neighbours may be you could get this tested, the simplest way is to get them to turn things on in their apartment while you have all of your circuit breakers turned off.

If something does not work in their apartment you can then turn you breakers on (one at a time) until their device turns on. (make a note of the breaker and contact an electrician)

Can't recall what the issue was but the flat had been vacant for some time.

I would say you can eliminate their Hot Water service (if electric, as that would be all year round), possibly be something like a bar heater that they only turn on in winter???

Just a thought...

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Ywang1
Switched-on
0 Replies 1233 Views

Thanks Niel

I'll try the two suggestions to see what is happening.