Solar Smart Meters

MarkScarfe
Switched-on
4 Replies 52658 Views

In the next month Im getting the free AGL smart meter installed. When I asked about this a few months ago AGL told me that this would enable my solar to be used as my primary source of energy before it gets sold back to the grid. Without the smart meter it would go to the grid before I get any benefit from my solar. In NSW the generous govt rebate has ended so I need the smartest use of my investment in solar. In the info on the AGL website and in the post there is no mention of solar benefit as Ive explained in having a smart meter. So does having a smart meter enable me to use the energy created from my solar panels first before I draw from the grid?

16 REPLIES 16
Tamsimps
Switched-on
1 Reply 13841 Views

I have been waiting all year for my free swap from gross meter to net meter. I keep getting told I just need to wait but how long do I need to wait! I have just had a smart meter installed but still waiting and waiting and waiting for a net meter! 

Jordanemm
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 13838 Views

Hi @Tamsimps,

Thank you for reaching out to us, and apologies for the ongoing delay you have had waiting for your net meter. 

Our Solar Maximiser team would love to look into this matter for you, to explain the reasoning behind this delay. They should also be able to assist with the next steps in getting your meter installed at your property. You can contact them on 1300 790 335 . 

Please let us know if anything else comes up, and thank you for your patience.

Sincerely, Jordan

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Marco
Switched-on
1 Reply 13803 Views

Hi 

I'm getting more solar pannels installed in the next 4 weeks.

I currently have a 1.5 kw sytem with a net metre   from 2011

my question is will they upgrade the net metre I have to a current one?

it has not been mentioned on the quote.

I will ring up on monday to ask about it , but i thought i would ask here.

TheRealDaveyG
Retired AGL Moderator
0 Replies 13785 Views

Hi @Marco

Thank you for your post and all the best for the upcoming installation of your panels!

It is a very good question concerning your net meter and generally speaking, this is to do with some of the updates that would have come across since 2011. However, our Solar team would be able to confirm this for you, and you can contact them directly on 1300 790 335. 

Kindly, Dave.

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Seadog
Transformer
1 Reply 13522 Views

I so hope you take it to current affair as i to believe they are dragging on the meter installs so as to maximise their profits.

Im pissed off to no end that my brand new digital solar meter has to be changed because i change provider??? Whats the difference its a rort and needs to be fixed.

jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 13521 Views

Hello, Seadog!

Welcome to the AGL Community!

We're sorry to hear that you've found this process so frustrating. If you'd like us to follow up on things, please send an email through to onlinereviews@agl.com.au and we'll be happy to help wherever we can.

Kind regards,

Jayden

tellmenolies
Conductor
0 Replies 12465 Views

The answer by AGL is not true. AGL have set meters up so that if you decide to use your excess solar energy to heat your hot water by pressing the boost button, it will charge you for the electricity off the grid instead of using your own excess solar energy