Smart meter communication method

SomeUser
Switched-on
1 Reply 810 Views

Hi, are all smart meters configured to communicate with the utility provider wirelessly or are they connected via NBN fibre optic where available?

I had an AGL contractor out today to install a smart meter while I was at work and have come home to find my optical connection has been severed. 

3 REPLIES 3
NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 799 Views

@SomeUser,

I would be complaining about this.

Communication is via wireless technology.

Start by informing your NBN retailer now and then start on AGL first thing in the morning.

Your NBN retailer should get the cable fixed for you quickly and maybe will handle the AGL side for compensation etc.

Still inform AGL ASAP, if you are with AGL for NBN you should be able to contact them as you have a loss of service.

Be prepared to be given the run around from AGL as they do not install meters........?????

Hope this helps

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
SomeUser
Switched-on
1 Reply 794 Views

Yep, first call was to my ISP to arrange an NBN tech visit. 

Definitely will follow up with AGL tomorrow, as their contractor needs to be held accountable for the shoddy workmanship. 

-Olgi-
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 785 Views

Hi @SomeUser,

Thanks for letting us know about what has occurred during your meter installation. I'm sorry about the inconvenience that this has caused. 

Our Digital Metering team will be able to assist with this. Their number is 1300 669 245 or you can contact them via email digitalmetering@agl.com.au. Our Digital Metering team is available Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 5.30pm (AEST).

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us here.

Kind Regards,

-Olgi-