Energy efficient fridge freezer...my it's hard to get info

RVMick
Switched-on
1 Reply 10876 Views

I'm running on solar in our home and am buying a new fridge freezer and thought I would just search for the highest star rating fridges first.  Boy I'm really struggling to find an actual comparison based on energy star rating.  It all seems to be focused on combined scores or generic marketing blurb.  I can't find a simple list of all brands and more dels and star rating...

its frustrating that its its so hard just to get star ratings

2 REPLIES 2
BWSS
Powerhouse
1 Reply 10873 Views

Hi RVMICK,

Right up my alley I think, this is from a previous post................

I wrote an article in the AGL forum about fridges. https://community.agl.com.au/t5/Renewable-Energy-and-Technology/Think-about-getting-rid-of-your-old-...

Even this is not perfect as it depends on what you seek, like, french doors, bottom mount, top mount, side by side etc. but this is closest I could get to base my decision to dump two order fridges and get one new one. If you look to the top line of the listings you will see you can sort by all sorts of headings, very clever.

Read all my post, it gets interesting and then I would like to hear or see your comments.

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
BWSS
Powerhouse
0 Replies 10872 Views

I should have also added, despite the bad publicity on Samsung I like the brand and the support they offer if a problem arises, having said that my first Samsung fridge was a lovely unit, very cheap to run, excellent to look at etc. but after a few months it developed a 'cracking' 'clicking' noise', it got so bad I complained and Samsung organised a visit by our local tech. He knew what the problem was straight away, small pipes inside that expand and contract, quite normal, but, the pump-in foam/polystyrene that encompasses the pipes either degrades or moves and allows the pipes to hit the sides of the cabinet.

I actually recorded the fridge in operation on my Galaxy S7 for 90 minutes and pressing the forward button on the phone allowed the tech to bypass silence and just let us hear the clicking/cracking sound. As it would cost more to fix the problem it was recommended to change over my fridge, delivery/ickup included etc. to same or a different model.

Silly me did not research and just ordered a french door model, within a few days same abnormality. THEN I did the research, world wide, seems it's an on-going problem, heaps complain, there is even youtube complaints were you can hear the same sounds.

So, new year, time to complain, two Samsungs in a row, time to change brands or will I be third time time lucky, just not sure which road to go down on now, my advice, no matter the brand, do your homework, Google the brand asking for complaints or reviews.

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.