Controlled load meter and solar unit usage 9:30am to 3:30pm SA

kwaka9
Switched-on
1 Reply 1361 Views

Recently AGL expanded the hours for use of the controlled load meter to between 9.30am and 3.30pm (in SA).

This was to make use of the excess Solar Power from the grid on mild and sunny days.

I recently received my December bill and it has no split of power being used by the controlled load circuit
- whether it is from the grid (CL) or from solar, just has . . .

Controlled Load  165.295kWh (UNITS)     $0.1753 (PRICE)     $28.98 (TOTAL AMOUNT)

It should have . . .

Controlled Load  100.000kWh (UNITS)     $0.1753 (PRICE)     $17.53 (FROM GRID)
                                 65.295kWh (UNITS)     $0.0500 (PRICE)     $03.26 (FROM SOLAR)

$20.79 (TOTAL AMOUNT)

Raises the question, at what unit price are we being charged for our solar for use on the controlled load portion????

My medium sized solar system of 3.3kWh, generated 405.414 kWh during December with a feed in Tariff of $0.05 (how generous!) earnt a whopping $20.27

My total PEAK units was 233.22kWh, at $0.3688 oer unit with a total of $86.01

How do ALL electricity companies justify such a blatant rip-off of privately generated solar, and get away with it!

5 REPLIES 5
-Olgi-
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 1352 Views

Hi @kwaka9,

Welcome to AGL Neighbourhood! Electricity taken from the grid is what you get charged for regardless of whether it's on your Controlled Load or General Usage register. 

Your solar consumption prior to exporting excess to the grid doesn't incur a charge as you're using electricity that your solar is producing. This doesn't appear on the bill either, because our system is only connected to your meter and therefore only gives us information of how much power you import and export from and to the grid.  

If your bill is stating that you have used 165.295kWh on your Controlled Load register, this means that this is how much you've taken from the grid for your appliances that are connected to Controlled Load. Any solar that you may have also used for your hot water system,  is on top of 165.295kWh and does not show on your bill. 

I do need to have a look at your account to help you further. I'll send you a private message to grab this information from you.

Thanks,

-Olgi-

mickunder
Switched-on
1 Reply 1305 Views

I dont understand the Controlled load. It was originally for off peak power in the middle of the night.

Now the cheapest controlled load is in the middle of the day.

Does this mean my hot water will automatically turn on in the middle of the day?

My controlled load Off peak (middle of the night) is now 20c/kwh - was 16c I think. The Shoulder (middle of the day) is now 16c, which is the previous night time rate.

I was also told by AGL last week, that I cant power my hot water directly from my panels and/or battery as it is on a controlled load circuit. (this info took 2 hours on the "chat" line and half an hour and 4 different operators in 30 minutes on the phone to get this info)

Can you please clarify these 2 issues. Thanks

-Olgi-
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 1300 Views

Hi @mickunder,

Welcome to AGL Neighbourhood!

Controlled load times are pre determined by your distributor and can change. To check whether your hot water system can be connected to your solar, you would need to engage an electrician. I will need to obtain more information from you to find out about your Controlled Load meter.

I'll send you a private message to grab your account details.

Kind Regards,

-Olgi-

mickunder
Switched-on
1 Reply 1284 Views

I have sent you my  meter details. Do you have a response yet?

_Mark_
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 1274 Views

Hi @mickunder, I'm going to send you a private message to just discuss these things with you if you haven't had a response yet! Thanks- Mark.