solar refund near furure

Lexie11mth
Switched-on
2 Replies 4227 Views

why does AGL see it necessary to pay less for using my Solar???

I paid  a lot of money to get this solar system up and running everything is costing more but AGL seem to think that things should be cheaper for them but there charges are getting higher. MM how does this work??

some years back they provided good service for fair prizes , now there is only charging and who cares, very sad that a company is getting that bad.

6 REPLIES 6
NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 4206 Views

@Lexie11mth 

You need to keep in touch with pricing.

Look at Solar Savers pricing with AGL (and other companies).

When I put in my solar system just over 3 and a half years ago it took us about 2 years and 4 months to get back the cost of the install ($3391).

When you invested in your system you should have looked at your costs verses the gains from your solar system.

Say you invested in a 5kw system (6.6kW).

Your usage per day was 15kW, your solar generation is 40kW (in summer).

You have the potential to make a profit.

Don't forget the supply charge, offpeak (controlled load) charges.

Look at your bills prior to solar and then your bills after solar...

Since we installed solar we had our biggest bill this year (Winter 2021) it was a MASSIVE $26.31.

You need to monitor your usage and your costs.

Yesterday our costs were astronomical, 

We used 5.085kW from the grid for the day.

Got paid for 17.750kW

It was an overcast day and only generated 22.9kW

We self consumed 5.15kW of our generation.

3-Nov-215.08517.75022.905.15

Our projected income for this billing period is:

Projected $-254.49

Yes that right $255.49 credit and we are 22% into this billing period.

Look into your usage, and use the internet to see if you can get a better price with any retailer.

Cheers

Neil

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Olderfogey54
Conductor
2 Replies 3971 Views

Unless you have upwards of a 15kW solar array on your roof, you are never going to be in credit. With a fridge, freezer, TV (s) computers, washing machines and dryers, airconditioning systems, fans and lighting etc you will use the projected solar power produced by a 5kW system easily.

Where do you live Neil?...in an insulated box in the back yard with candles for lighting?

NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 3966 Views

@Olderfogey54 

We live in SA.

Since we put solar on the roof (5Kw) we have to pay for electricity only in the winter when its been rainy.

One bill was $16 and this year a whopping $23.

We live in an older 4 bedroom house on a 1200 square meter block.

Bet that you have inverter heating/cooling and in multiple areas.

Do you know that each of these units have a heater built in to warm the oil. Its consumes 125w per hour or 3kW of power EVERY DAY.

We have a heat pump for heating hot water, this only runs during the daylight hours (hence basically run of our solar). We have a wood heater.

We also have an Evaporative Cooling system and actually know how to use it.

I think that you just need to review how you use your electricity.

I just downloaded our usage for yesterday.

DATE             TYPE            Last Data
20211214    General          4.269
20211214    Solar            32.457

IE this is 4kW from the grid and 32kW exported to the grid.

We generated 40.7 kW so self consumed 8kW.

About 3kW of this was used to heat our hot-water.

I did the washing in our economical front load washing machine (cold wash) and for the evening meal we had a roast cooked in the infra pulse.

We still ran our two freezers and two fridges.

I also used my lathe and inverter welder.

Still ran both of our TV's, three (or four computers) and had a chat on my ham radio.

Maybe I should have three phase, then we would have generated 121kW of solar. Got paid for 96kw and still used our 4kw of power.

We have a dryer it is called the sun, if its raining we hang it up under the back verandah.

I cannot understand why you would have multiple washing machines and dryers.

Why would you have fans and Air-conditioning systems running at the same time.

All of our lighting is of the SAVER type and being a pensioner I got it all installed for free.

As of yesterday our projected bill is $257 in credit and this is not the AGL projected amount (which only uses the last 30 days usage and does not include supply charge).

And like most people I note that you are still to scared to actually use your name.

Good luck Olderfogey54!

Neil (Old retired fart)

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Thrash9577
Switched-on
1 Reply 3425 Views

@Lexie11mth OneVanilla wrote:

why does AGL see it necessary to pay less for using my Solar???

I paid  a lot of money to get this solar system up and running everything is costing more but AGL seem to think that things should be cheaper for them but there charges are getting higher. MM how does this work??

some years back they provided good service for fair prizes , now there is only charging and who cares, very sad that a company is getting that bad.

Unless you have upwards of a 15kW solar array on your roof, you are never going to be in credit. With a fridge, freezer, TV (s) computers, washing machines and dryers, airconditioning systems, fans and lighting etc you will use the projected solar power produced by a 5kW system easily.

NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 3417 Views

@Thrash9577 

Just repeating a bit of two postings is not a reply.

If you put solar on your roof you are going to get a benefit.

Consuming all of your generated solar means that you are not paying for it, only the extra that you consume.

If you think you are going to make a million dollars then you didn't do your sums.

A bill consists of multiple parts. (Very simple billing shown here)

1. The supply charge
  2. Off peak or controlled load costs
  3. Peak usage

These are all consumption charges.

By adding solar on the roof you are trying negate the costs above.

If you have a 5kW system (these are usually sold as 6kw or so) then the maximum power that the inverter will generate is 5kW.

On a good day your system will generate the full 6+kW but by law only 5kw will be emitted by the system and the excess 1+kW will be dissipated as heat.

Of that 5kW your house will consume as much of that as it needs and only the excess from that will be injected into the street wiring. (Which is your feed-in amount).

Now if you are getting paid 6c per kW for feed-in and your supply charge is $1.00 per day then you need to feed-in nearly 17kW a day just to offset that cost. ( At 12c a kW that would be 8kW a day).

However, the supply charge is payable even if you consume no power.

Then the next statement why would you be running a dryer when you should be using the sun to dry your clothes.

AC's should be used sensibly, run them at 24 or 25 degrees in summer, winter run them at 18. When the outside temp is between 18 and 25, open up the house and get some fresh air in.

Take the time to turn of items you don't need.

A fan that ONLY consumes 100W per hour actually uses 2.4kW in a day???

Do you need to have the TV on when you are playing a game on your computer.

Why not have a radio on if you want background noise?

Get out of the habit of turning on the room light every time you enter a room, or if you persist in doing it, get into the habit of TURNING OFF LIGHTS when you leave a room.

If you still have INCANDESCENT lights purchase a four pack of saver lights each pay and replace them.

If you don't like what you are paying for Electricity / Gas go to the Australian Government site

https://www.energymadeeasy.gov.au/

and look for a better price.

Cheers

Neil

If you like my post please click the like button...

Cheers Neil

TheGong
Semiconductor
0 Replies 1707 Views

Wrong! I have a 6.2Kwatt array and an always (well not with AGL any longer) in credit in Summer which pays for winter. I have no battery either.