Solar smart meter installation time

kev2108
Semiconductor
6 Replies 50558 Views

I had recently get my property solar installed and powered, and I was advised from the installer that I do not need to do anything rather than wait for apprx 2 weeks before the AGL guy comes for the smart meter installation (they would do all the neccessary paperworks, if any for such the meter installed on my behalf). Almost 2 weeks passed and heard nothing then I just rang AGL solar team and then been advised that the consumers need to contact their retailers for the smart meter arrangement themselves and also 27 business days which is the normal timeframe for installation since early this year 2018. Wondering if the above said is correct? Though I am rather new in solar arena, I just wanna make sure my investment on solar do a good job in terms of return on investment rather feeding the power back to the grid for nothing. Appreciate your advices. Thank you.

24 REPLIES 24
dc1
Semiconductor
0 Replies 20212 Views

4 no shows by AGL later... am still waiting for these guys to honour a simple committment...to show up and do the work

@kev2108 wrote:

I had recently get my property solar installed and powered, and I was advised from the installer that I do not need to do anything rather than wait for apprx 2 weeks before the AGL guy comes for the smart meter installation (they would do all the neccessary paperworks, if any for such the meter installed on my behalf). Almost 2 weeks passed and heard nothing then I just rang AGL solar team and then been advised that the consumers need to contact their retailers for the smart meter arrangement themselves and also 27 business days which is the normal timeframe for installation since early this year 2018. Wondering if the above said is correct? Though I am rather new in solar arena, I just wanna make sure my investment on solar do a good job in terms of return on investment rather feeding the power back to the grid for nothing. Appreciate your advices. Thank you.

dc1
Semiconductor
0 Replies 20212 Views

welcome to my world... 4th no-show by AGL yesterday... and the worse part is, they don't even have the courtesy to notify you ...

dc1
Semiconductor
0 Replies 20212 Views

same with me. it seems like AGL has put their fate into an outsourced company that doesn't bother with honouring committments. am going to contact the ombudsman as well! good tip.

Merrillie
Conductor
0 Replies 20167 Views

Same issue here I received my initial SMS saying 27 business days on the 9th Feb. Waited patiently for that time period then began the chasing and wasted hours waiting on the phone and multiple emails.

Still waiting but hopefully getting close if they turn up on 15 May as currently sheduled.

That is over 3 months wait, really not good enough.

Katiecat
Switched-on
0 Replies 20037 Views

We are having similar issues with AGL. Something that just requires a computer input to configure by now taken 2 months. Every time I call up to check, there is another hurdle or excuse. We are never contacted about these issues and written communication is near impossible to initiate. Not all customer care personnel have the same knowledge, most are actively trying to get rid of you as fast as possible. nobody says hello or how are you, and nobody goes out of their way to sort out issues. They just don't care, as they are all cogs in a very slow running machine. I was told I could get a "high-level escalation" if I did not complain to the Ombudsman. That was an offer I did not accept. I am collecting info to publicize how long and how much effort it takes me to get a solar connection.

We already have a meter, but they decided to plan an installation first and so it went on and on and on. I feel for you all and urge you to lodge complaints. We need a Royal Commission into energy resellers.

SylviaElse
Switched-on
0 Replies 20013 Views

AGL should note the provisions of the Australian Consumer Law relating to misleading and deceptive conduct. Section 4 says

Misleading representations with respect to future matters

(1)  If:

(a)  a person makes a representation with respect to any future matter (including the doing of, or the refusing to do, any act); and

(b)  the person does not have reasonable grounds for making the representation;

the representation is taken, for the purposes of this Schedule, to be misleading.

So being slow to act is one thing, but to make repeated representations that a meter will be installed within a certain timeframe, only to fail to honour that representation, is likely to be considered misleading and deceptive conduct. Since people may consider those representations when deciding whether to move to a different retailer, the misleading and deceptive conduct has financial consequences. In theory a person could sue AGL to recover their lost income from solar generation.

Chris24
Superconductor
0 Replies 19080 Views

In NSW another contractor instals meter and has to get meter from yet another provider!  The solar company said they would do everything re organising for meter etc, yet I found,I had to contact agl myself.  Waiting for order to be acknowledged, even though solar provider contacted Ausgrid in December!  Solar already installed on roof.  Seriously, glad I contacted to follow through!  Now, the waiting ............

Chris24
Superconductor
0 Replies 19011 Views

Hi gaskerry00

Im new here, feel for u. In nsw

Found I had to contact agl, then the meter ppl separately (different contractors). The meterguy has to contact and pick up meter company (diffetent contractor) to pick up meter, get approval from agl before proceeding. The lovely guy from plusES escalated job for me after I told him my dilemma. Solar privider cobtacted Ausgrid before Christmas) I had meter installed only days later. one has to advocate for themselves. If I hadnt done this and followed through, I would still be waiting for my meter to be installed. Also asked for nett meter.

Ive found electrical provider inaccurate with readings (been recording kw fed into grid) so need to contact during the week to sort out - not impressed. 

Good luck

nissy
Switched-on
1 Reply 18783 Views

Hi I also am currently having the same issues. I have had my solar panels insltalled on 26th January . I contacted AGL to request a smart meter be installed as required by my solar panel installer. He is not the one to do this he told me AGL as my provider must provide it. I contacted AGL and was told it will take up to 28 business days . I heard nothing from AGL. After the 28days. I made up to 4 phone calls to AGL as they then tried to tell me I need to get my installer to provide the meter . They have now said I will need to wait yet another 21 days for this to be installed that is if it actually gets installed . 

So I have had solar panels on now since 26th January and am unable to utilise them.

Very unhappy with AGL. 

Merrillie
Conductor
0 Replies 18781 Views

When you do finally get it installed make sure you swap your plan to the solar savers plan where you get 20 cents back for kWh fed into the grid. That makes a huge difference. We have a 5kw inverter and 20 panels and our last bill was $76 instead of somewhere between $450 and $750.