Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Solar Feed In Tariff

Switched-on

I have noticed again that the solar feed in tariff has gone down.

To me this is not a good incentive for people to continue to buy solar panels or add to existing panels.

I know with my own system I generate more then half the Kw I use but you barely get anything back. Some other companies still have their tariffs at 12c per Kw. AGL is now down to 9.5c per Kw.

I feel that the green energy idea is slipping away slowly. Customers want incentives to buy solar & to have confidence in their provider that they are trying their best for green energy.

I thought I would just ask is anyone else feeling this way?

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9

Semiconductor

hi Mrs Mac

Yes our tariffs have gone down too and it is frustrating however it is not correct that the green energy idea is slipping away. In fact the reason for low tariffs is the opposite... tariffs are getting smaller because solar is getting cheaper and more popular, and energy costs overall are falling. High tariffs early on were an incentive to get people in to solar early even tho the cost was still high.

As this goes on tarriffs will probably keep getting smaller, but because the costs of solar overall are going down and fossil fuels will be more expensive it still means youll be making money on a solar investment within a few years

Semiconductor

I find it a bit rich how commentators on here keep saying that our FIT is going down because power is getting less expensive !!!...since when has the retail cost of the power I use been getting cheaper??

AGL is making huge profits from the power I feed back into the grid yet they only see us solar power providers as cash cows. If, power is getting cheaper why are we NOT seeing ANY reduction in our power bills?? Riddle me that Batman !!

Semiconductor

I equally am disappointed by the drop in the solar feed in tariff but don't blame the power company. The feed tariff is set by the Victorian Government regulator. I have complained to the state victorian state government and blame the Victorian regulator, and the Victorian regulator blames the state government.

Basically they are just stone walling the consumers.

Just wait and see, next year the feed in tariff will be 3 cents, and Victorian Labour Government will be telling us all how they are a major supporter of home solar power.

My friends in Western Australia just laugh at Victoria and our virtuous government.

Semiconductor

Your reply makes no sense. In Victoria, Feed In tariff = 6 cents, Usage tariff = 21 cents.

Pay us 21 cents a KWhr and that will be an incentive to convert to solar

Pay 6 cents a kWh and you will never recover your installation costs.

Our government just masquerades as an organisation committed to green power

Semiconductor

solar feed-in tariffs were high initially to encourage early solar users back when solar systems were more expensive and less common. Solar systems got cheaper and cheaper and became very widespread, so there is less need for the high tariff. As more people get solar and move off the traditional energy grid, fossil fuel power gets more and more expensive, which makes solar better and better value. Its a feedback loop. You recover your installation costs on your energy bills, not just from the FIT.

If you wanted high FIT rates, you should have got to the solar party earlier. In Victoria the "green government" incentives have already done their job - its just that you missed the boat. But youll still get your money back saving on energy bills.

https://www.aef.com.au/for-home/solar-power/solar-feed-in-tariffs/

Quote "High feed-in tariffs used to be necessary because solar was so expensive. But because the costs of solar have dropped, they’re no longer needed. Even with low feed-in tariffs, today the typical household will recoup the investment between 3 to 5 years."

Semiconductor

For heaven's sake Kristal, stop towing the party line, you seem quite content to put up with being paid a pittance for energy that is sold back to us at prices that are highly exorbitant. It may not piss you off, but I am certain a greater majority of us ARE. This is nothing but a blatant rip-off, regardless of how you like to "spin" it.

Semiconductor

If you have solar, you arent paying those exorbitant prices though because you're generating your own energy on your roof.

If you do have solar, youre getting low prices for power exported to the grid because the power companies don't really want it - theyve got enough, because of all the other people who bought solar and now don't have high energy bills either!

If saving the planet AND getting no electric bills arent enough reason to switch to solar, you don't have to - you can just stay on a traditional energy plan and pay those "exorbitant prices" youre griping about. Which will continue to get higher.

Semiconductor

"If you have solar, you aren't paying those exorbitant prices though because you're generating your own energy on your roof."

Well Kristal, I do have solar but it only makes power during the day and NOT at night, so your assumption that I'm not paying exorbitant prices for power that I have generated is blown out of the water straight away !! Honestly, I'd be happy to NOT get paid for daytime exported power as long as the power I used at night was reduced by the FIT amount. Not everybody here Kristal has the funds to afford a Battery to power their premises at night.

Semiconductor

I don't think our few GWs saved is going to save the planet. Thats just greenie political spin

So far this year China has increased its carbon emissions by one and half times Australia's total yearly emissions with more than 50 new coal fired power stations coming online.

That is the increase in emissions - and China is on track to increase its emissions by 3 times our total annual emissions. And Australia has decreased its emissions by 13% in the last 12 months.

China is going to continue to increase its emissions until 2030 regardless of what the rest of the world has to say

Nothing that Australia can do to save the planet