Battery fan on a hot day

Dave
Superconductor
4 Replies 33938 Views

On a hot day the fan in my Sunverge battery cabinet works flat out. Would it help heat removal if I kept the battery door open?

Dave

15 REPLIES 15
jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 27245 Views

Hey Dave,

Welcome to the community!

When it comes to the specifics of your equipment, we find it's always best to seek advice directly from the manufacturer! You should be able to find the information your after in any manuals provided, or alternatively, you could can Sunverge directly.

If you have any further enquiries, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Kind regards,

Jayden.

Dave
Superconductor
0 Replies 27245 Views

Hi Jayden,

I have been a member of the community ever since my VPP battery was installed by AGL. In the past, I have had several queries about my battery answered here. I believe it is somewhat difficult to get a direct answer from Sunverge. I would appreciate some input from your technical section.

Regards,

Dave

Sar
Semiconductor
2 Replies 27239 Views

Ou battery fan is going crazy too. It sounds like a very loud air conditioner.

Dave
Superconductor
1 Reply 27224 Views

Sar, it seems to make sense that everything will run cooler if we can leave the door open on a hot day. All we have to do is find out if it is OK to do this.

Dave

Sar
Semiconductor
1 Reply 27222 Views

Hi Dave,

i agree that seems logical. It was my understanding that if we open the door it sends an open door message to AGL. They have called me and told me they had an open door alarm coming from our battery (although the door was shut at the time). AGL do need to tell us what we can do about this, I can't imagine that the batteries are operating effectively when they are working so hard to stay cool.

Sar.

Woodunn
Superconductor
0 Replies 27387 Views

Ours seems to kick in above 30deg.  Has done so a few times this week.

A quick search of the manual found this.

"Your SIS unit is equipped to withstand a wide range of climate conditions. A combination of built-in fans and/or heaters keeps the battery and other cabinet components within optimal operating temperatures. The SIS unit will automatically turn on cooling and/or heating as needed. You may hear an audible hum, particularly on colder or warmer days. This sound indicates the unit is working safely and as expected for normal operation."

http://www.sunverge.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Homeowners-Manual_Booklet_2017.pdf

Looking at the placement of the fans, It looks like they are there to pass air over the internal componants.  If the door is left open, the designed air flow would be disrupted and the componants would be relying on passive air flow.  I would be keeping the door closed as the unit is designed (according to specifications) from -20 up to 50 deg.

AndrewP
Switched-on
1 Reply 26941 Views

I was advised suring the insatllation that leaving the door open will trigger an alarm in the control centre

Woodunn
Superconductor
1 Reply 26937 Views

Interesting.  I was never advised that I could not open the door by the installer.  I was advised that it should be padlocked for security.

During the first couple of months, AGL Solar monitoring was down so often that I would check the state of the system by opening the door and eyeballing the battery inverter.  I have yet to be told off by AGL yet. 

BWSS
Powerhouse
1 Reply 26900 Views

My question I would have thought was super simple but still awaiting a reply. 

'Adelaide is going through a very hot spell and the internal fan does not stop running, 24/7, I do expect it but my question is, there are two fans I can see and feel from the outside, the right hand side one works but the left side may be faulty or whatever but never comes on, ever, should 1 or both be running on days like this?'

When I open the cabinet I don't get a warning or ant contact with Sunverge/AGL as to 'cabinet open', why is this?

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.