Solar panels and hot water

RobynSun
Switched-on
4 Replies 13307 Views

Can I switch my hot water service from off peak to day time to maximise the use of power being generated and drawn from the solar system?  We don't use all the power currently generated and a lot goes back into the grid with little financial benefit to us.

12 REPLIES 12
Joklyn
Switched-on
0 Replies 313 Views

Because this graph (or chart) only gives a single indication for each hour, I think it's hiding your problem. 

I still think you don't have enough battery power. To me, it looks like the off-peak comes on, and the battery runs for as long as it's able before reaching it's cut-off point and the off-peak continues to draw about the same amount of power as it did initially, so the graph levels are about equal. Now that your battery is technically flat, the chart shows small usage for the rest of the night (probably lights, fridges etc). In the morning solar starts to charge and build up a reserve in your battery, and seems to drop off in the afternoon (cloudy day, or shade from something OR, panels not facing North ??? ). The last option is one I've seen often.

Any way you look at it, I personally will be planning on installing twice as much battery  power as I appear to need (at least a 5kw 48V setup to start), and at least enough solar panels to be able to charge them fully on a cloudy or rainy day. ( P.S. It would be nice to see a continuous chart for each full hour, instead of a single hourly total. Did the chart come from your charger, or from AGL???) ...... Cheers ... Jok. 9Dec23

SolarControl
Semiconductor
1 Reply 66 Views

Hi, 

Im having a similar argument where I am producing enough power at the same time my Control Load 2 kicks in during the day. When I look at 5 min intervals I still have a lot more Solar then the control load is using. 

I am being told this is how it is.... there is 2 different meters for Controal Load and Mains... and the solar will only impact the mains. It will never have any effect on the Control Load. So much for trying to be sustainable and reduce my carbon foot print...

But when talking to the Network provider, they have explained that its due to the Electrical provider and how its being charged. 

So... where to from here?

Ant73
Semiconductor
0 Replies 59 Views

My solution was to replace my hot water system with a heat pump, with internal timer of the heat pump to heat between 10am and 4pm each day using at the most 2kwh in the middle of the day on solar v's 8-9 kWh at night on off peak. Electrician can hook it up at the time of replacement. My battery at night covers me and the sun during the day does my house, my water and feed back to grid. Making me about 95% self-sufficient.

Whilst it doesn't make sense in an environmentally conscious world that when you put solar on that your off peak solution should default to heating during the day during peak supply of green energy(utilising the solar not the grid), we are told there is an over supply during these time hence why FIT's are now so low.

Individual households are still left to find these solutions v's retailers facilitating them.