Telstra Smart Modem

Jeff5
Conductor
2 Replies 19643 Views

Hi,

Looking to move  over to AGL internet. Currently with telstra and have their telstra smart modem. Is this modem usable for AGL internet or would I need to get a different one?

10 REPLIES 10
David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
0 Replies 18989 Views

Hi @Jeff5 ,

If it's compatible with the nbn network, you should be all good to use a BYO modem! To double-check that a specific model will work, you can always contact support.

Godfrey
Semiconductor
1 Reply 18062 Views

Hi @Jeff5 , 

I am thinking of moving as well.  Did the Telstra Smart Modem end up working with AGL NBN internet?

Thanks in advance.

David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
1 Reply 17952 Views

@Godfrey 

I can't give an official confirmation of support, but if it helps I've spoken with other customers who have used the Telstra Smart Modem as a BYO modem with AGL Internet after configuring it for PPPoE in the modem settings.

Godfrey
Semiconductor
1 Reply 17946 Views

@David_AGL 

Do you use IPOE as connection type?

David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
1 Reply 17942 Views

PPPoE connection type, not IPOE.

Godfrey
Semiconductor
2 Replies 17939 Views

Godfrey_0-1670997789199.png

hmm...therefore it is not going to work?

image.png

David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
1 Reply 17895 Views

I think that likely shows your current connection type with Telstra, because Telstra does use IPoE. 

I notice it does allow you to enter PPPoE authentication details below, so I suspect you'd be fine to use it, perhaps with some configuration changes, but as it's still a BYO modem I'm not able to guarantee it. If you do a web search for "Telstra smart modem with other ISPs" you'll find more discussion on this topic. In some cases users report they needed to do a factory reset or change the configuration of their Smart Modem to get it working with other ISPs. 

Jeff5
Conductor
1 Reply 17885 Views

It worked fine. Just plugged it in and it was good to go. No config required. 

David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
0 Replies 17876 Views

Nice one @Jeff5, that's good news.