Solar system and hot water

Beej
Switched-on
3 Replies 6365 Views

Hi 

I am on an AGL plan with CL1 and CL2 and have recently installed solar which is currently making a healthy 45kwh+/day but of course now that I can see our usage in real time through the AGL app, 70% of our energy usage is 7-9pm! I am wondering about our hot water (two separate tanks) - I had always assumed that it was on CL overnight yet the smart meter shows me we have essentially no energy usage overnight.  How can I tell what the timing is on my hot water?  There are no obvious timers on the fuse box.  Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks!

Beej

Beej

4 REPLIES 4
TonyR
Switched-on
0 Replies 6269 Views

I would also like an answer to this, slightly different scenario. My major usage is 10pm-11pm and I'm guessing that's the hot water system system as the kWH used kind of lines up with how much power the hot water system consumed when I was on two separate tariffs. Now that I have Solar and a Smart meter, however, I've been swapped to a single tariff, so I'd like the hot water system to kick in at say 10AM and therefore use mostly free power.

Is this possible and... I'd also like to know how to confirm the timing on the hot water system.

Grover
Switched-on
1 Reply 6084 Views

Is it worth the upfront cost and will it really save you money in the long run? The short answer is: probably yes. A well chosen solar hot water system (HWS) or a heat pump may cost more to begin with, but they can be significantly cheaper to run than a conventional electric or gas system.

krogereschedule

anveshj
Switched-on
0 Replies 3974 Views

Is it worth the upfront cost and will it really save you money in the long run? For most homes, the short answer is: yes and yes. A well chosen solar hot water system or a heat pump may cost more to begin with, but for most homes they'll be significantly cheaper to run than a conventional electric or gas system.

takesurvery
Switched-on
0 Replies 3672 Views

Is the initial investment worthwhile, and will it save you money in the long run? In a nutshell, the answer is very likely yes. A well-chosen solar hot water system (HWS) or heat pump may be more expensive up front, but they can be far less expensive to operate than a traditional electric or gas system.