General

Want to discuss something that doesn't fit in the other areas? This is the place.

Want to discuss something that doesn't fit in the other areas? This is the place.

Help making sense of a high electricity bill

Switched-on

Hello,

We are a house of 3 in Melbourne. Our stove, ducted heating and hot water are all gas. Our latest electricity bill totalled $284, compared to the last few which were in the $100-120 range. According to the bill, we are suddenly using double the electricity of the average 4-person home in the area and I'm struggling to make sense of it.

The only thing that comes to mind is increased heating usage, given the cold Melbourne weather lately. I encouraged the use of a 5-fin oil heater and a small split-system, instead of the gas ducted heating, intending to save money by heating a couple of rooms instead of the entire house. Surely a couple of heaters can't lead to a sudden 150% increase in electricity usage? Presumably, the 'average' home in the area is also seeing increased heating usage this time of year anyway, so I don't know how to explain why we are so incredibly far above the area average. Is split-system heating extremely energy intensive, even for only one room? I can't think of any other possible causes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We can't afford to keep paying over $10 per day for our electricity, so I am really keen to solve the puzzle.

Latest bill is attached. Thanks.

agl_bill-page-001 - Copy.jpg

agl_bill-page-002 - Copy.jpg

0 REPLIES 0