3-phase to 1-phase

Mark_L
Conductor
1 Reply 6913 Views

In a few weeks, we'll be taking ownership of a property that currently has three-phase power connected.

We'll only need single-phase ("normal domestic") power at the premises — is there anything special or expensive involved in converting to this type of mains connection, or do we simply make a standard application to an energy retailer?

Is reverting to single-phase short-sighted? (Might three-phase be useful in the future?)

4 REPLIES 4
Herre
Switched-on
1 Reply 6882 Views

There is no need to downgrade it Mark, the service fee will be the same, and if you would like to add ducted aircon, heater or even for a pool, three phase power will be quite important for you.

if you still would like to change it to single phase, you need a level 2 electrician, the one charges you far more high than the normal electrician.

Mark_L
Conductor
1 Reply 6835 Views

Thanks Herre.
That's exactly the information I needed.

AnanV
Switched-on
1 Reply 2377 Views

That chat from 3phase to 1-phase was good to clear my mind partly; and still relevant to me.

I am going for solar; so how important is my connection single or three phase? Should I bother to upgrade or downgrade?

John-T
Powerhouse
0 Replies 2344 Views

@AnanV 

My house is 3 phase so I bought a 3 phase Solar system.

I would google 3 phase Solar reviews as well as 1 phase Solar System reviews for a better understanding.

I am no expert by any means but.

With a 3 phase house you can have either a 1 phase or a 3 phase solar system.

With a 1 phase house you can only have a 1 phase Solar System.

Why spend the money downgrading ?

Regards

John