Solar Grid Overvoltage fault

Wasohorsley
Switched-on
1 Reply 1187 Views

Since the sun came back out I have been getting this fault more. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is it my system or the Grid?

ImportantFault:Grid Overvoltage[1];

1 REPLY 1
Barney867
Conductor
0 Replies 1175 Views

@myccpay wrote:

Since the sun came back out I have been getting this fault more. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is it my system or the Grid?

ImportantFault:Grid Overvoltage[1];

It turns out Australia’s standard isn’t 235 volts plus or minus 8%. It’s actually 230 volts +10% or -6%, giving a range of 216.2 to 253 volts. You may be wondering why the plus goes all the way up to 10% and the minus only goes down to 6%. Well, that’s because Australia2 really wanted to be able to say we had changed from our old standard of 240 volts down to the much more common 230 volts that is an international standard.3

The downside is it’s really difficult for a grid designed for an average of 240 volts to get down to an average of 230. We only had two sensible options:

1. Do the hard work and spend the large amount of money required to make the change.

2. Admit there would be a long transition period where the voltage would average between 230 and 240 volts.

So, of course, we instead decided to:

3. Half **bleep** it.