Hot Water Boost Button? (NSW)

Gamiss
Switched-on
1 Reply 4318 Views

Hoping for some advice / help on this one.

We just moved into a new property in Penrith, NSW and after coming home just before midnight we went to have a shower only to have the water cold.

We are on an Off Peak hotwater setup here we've since found out which is creating an issue for us as when you actually NEED hot water... well you need it!

I have seen a few other posts here talking about a hot water boost button that can be installed in the meter box to kickstart water heating immediately for the following hour on demand.

We need that!

I called the AGL service team to enquire about this and they didn't have any idea what I was even talking about.

I spoke to an AGL representative on your support chat, same thing.

If there anyone here who knows who / where I can actually chat to an AGL rep who knows what I'm talking about and assist me in getting this installed at our home?

Very frustrating experience so far with AGL!

3 REPLIES 3
NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 4312 Views

@Gamiss,

The HOT WATER BOOST button should be on your electricity meter and no-where else.

Hot water is run from your Off-peak / Controlled load section of your meter.

Push the button (mine says for six seconds) and you will hear a click and power will be supplied to the hot-water service.

Be aware though, that in doing so, you will using your PEAK rate not your OFF_PEAK rate.

By the way I would have thought that about 23:00 (11pm) your OFF-Peak would have already activated and would stay on until 5 or 6 in the morning .

These times are controlled by your SUPPLIER/DISTRIBUTOR not your RETAILER (AGL).

Are the the three Distributors in NSW

Depending on the size of your hot-water service it may take up to three hours to get hot water that may be of a reasonable temperature.

If you have only just moved in. DID you check that the hot water breaker was turned on?

If my post answers your question, please click MARK AS SOLVED!

If you like my answer please LIKE my post.

Cheers

Neil

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
prinsu_jain
Switched-on
1 Reply 3967 Views

Hi There,

Is there an option to get Hot water system on the normal supply rather than Controlled load ? Is this something to be done by an electrician or Ausgrid or AGL ?

Thanks

NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 3957 Views

@prinsu_jain 

Hi,

You can pay an electrician to move your meter to non controlled/ off-peak mode.

The hot-water system works on a thermostat, so when the temp of the water reaches the low point a relay clicks in and allows the water to be heated from the available power source.

So, that means if power is available that it will start consuming power, when this occurs you will be paying at the current rate for that time.

If you do not have a smart meter then you will be paying at the MAXIMUM RATE, if you have a smart meter then you will be paying at the rate due at that time.

I would suggest that you ask an electrician first as the consequences of moving to non off-peak/controlled load may impose considerable financial costs to your electricity bill.

If you own your home, maybe you should look at solar hot-water systems or solar panels and a heat- pump hot-water system.

Cheers Neil

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.