Energy Management

Looking for tips or advice on energy efficiency around the home? See what others are doing or share your experience!

Looking for tips or advice on energy efficiency around the home? See what others are doing or share your experience!

Demand rates

Switched-on

Hello,

I'm a newbie to this forum.

I dont really understand the AGL's "General Usage Demand Opt-In" rates.  The demand charge is in units of c/kW/day for usage between the hours of 1500-2100.  That doesnt appear to be a unit of enrgy consumption, do they mean c/kWDay or c/kWHr ?   Is it an additional charge on top of the normal c/kWHr rate?  Can anyone give me a simple worked example of how this rate works ? 

thanks  Jan

21 REPLIES 21

Switched-on

Greetings NeilC,

My neighbourhood acquaintance ‘Spydah’ thought I might find this forum of interest. I’ve now read it right through and note that you posed him a couple of challenges in your final post. As it appears that discussion between you two has now ceased, I thought that I might post a response for your interest. Here goes:

1. First challenge: I have yet to see any DEMAND price deals that are 7 days a week, I will leave it up to you now to show me a RETAILER'S plan that is not a MON - FRI (less public holidays).

Well here's the answer.  The AGL Solar Savers Demand plan for South Australia 5008 states:

Demand Charge Peak of $0.3505/kW/day.  Peak Period applies 4pm - 9pm weekday and weekends all year.

and the AGL Solar Savers Demand plan for Queensland 4070 (Distributor: Energex) states:

Demand  of $0.2644 per kW of chargeable demand per day

Both of the above are 7 days a week and for Queensland 4070, the peak period is not stated. I would be interested to see an example of a DEMAND price deal that is MON - FRI (less public holidays)?   Could you provide one please?

The charges above are for AGL. I checked other major suppliers in SA: Origin, Energy Australia, Lumo and none of them even listed Demand type plans. Also, no AGL Demand plans were found for NSW, VIC or WA.   Or am I missing something here?

2. Second challenge: I also challenge YOU to show me (and this community) the plan that your family member is now on.

Here it is: https://www.energymadeeasy.gov.au/plan?id=ALI154002MRE&postcode=4070

It commenced on 22/03/21, the day of installation of the Smart meter and no proactive advice of its implementation was received from Alinta. It is now intended to switch to:

https://www.energymadeeasy.gov.au/plan?id=AGL15270MRE&postcode=4070

3. You suggested referring to https://www.aer.gov.au/consumers/my-energy-bill/tariff-and-fees-explained However, there's no mention of a Demand tariff so that’s not helpful.

4. You suggest: Look at the Energy Made Easy Australian web site to see what plans are available. (This is the site that AGL sends you to after you make a decision from the THREE basic choices that are shown on their site)

The EnergyMadeEasy web site lists suppliers based on estimated annual cost, but only non-Demand plans are listed. This makes sense as there's no way that the demand can be costed as it's a future unknowable parameter.

To find a Demand plan, you need to enter a retailer's web site (eg agl.com.au) and proceed from there. Having selected a suitable Demand plan, if available, you are then led to the EnergyMadeEasy page for details of that plan. Of course, the page includes the warning: This plan includes demand charges. We are unable to provide an estimate. For AGL (with Energex as the distributor), the Demand charge is common to all THREE basic choices and these give rise to eight AGL Demand plans.

As a matter of interest, I adhere to the following terms: Consumption = Usage = kWh and Demand = (Connected) Load = kW The interchanging of them leads to confusion as ‘Electrons’ noted in his forum post.

And I cringe when I read in some posts the use of KW for kW and KWH (and other variants) for kWh.

Finally, AGL is both a generator and retailer (also referred to as provider or supplier), and Energex is a distributor.

Best regards,

Neil

Powerhouse

@NeilB 

Glad to see you on board with your mate!

Why didn't he/she ask you for help before.

Yep you have all the answers.

Keep up the good work