Energy Accounts and Billing

Help with your AGL Energy account or AGL online tools.

Help with your AGL Energy account or AGL online tools.

high electricity bill

Switched-on

I've had a smooth run for two months with AGL then suddenly my electrical prices went through the roof. One month I paid just $30 then this month skyrocketed up to $160. Amazed at this bill I began reviwing my metre and electrical consumption history, still didn't make any sense. I travel overseas every two weeks, when I leave I turn off all switches, unplug appliances (which are few and far between and the few have 4/5 star consumption rating) and switch of the main board.

When I do return home, I'm hardly in my one bedroom flat, I have ample breeze so no need for AC, no vacuum, no tv, really I have nothing cause I'm never home and live out of a suitcase.

When I called customer service, I was told it's just an average and AGL will do nothing. Then, how on earth do I use as much energy as a 4 bedroom house? There is something seriously wrong with AGL... after my discussion with customer service, I'm leaving AGL after only a couple months. If you're reading this and wondering if you should change to AGL, the answer is please don't.

2 REPLIES 2

AGL Moderator

Hi henry01!

Welcome to AGL Community. 

If you have selected monthly billing for your electricity account, you'll need to check whether you have a smart meter or a basic meter.

If you have a smart meter, then your monthly bills will be issued on all actual readings. If you have a basic meter, your meter is read manually by the network every 3 months. Your monthly bills in between the scheduled quarterly readings will be issued either on an estimate reading or a reading that you've provided. 

You can enter your own meter reading on your My Account here

Kind regards, 

Nam

Switched-on

I fail to see how your answer resolved my complaint. How does a one bed apartment with very limited usage and lack of appliances generate such a large electricity bill? Automated meter or not, this has no difference...