Re-charged for prior bills, incorrect calculation

SJK123
Switched-on
2 Replies 4493 Views

I have recently switched to AGL, and paid my first two bills on time. I logged into my account in the lead up to my third quarterly bill to monitor things and noticed these bills had dissapered and my account was just in credit for the amounts paid.

I have now received my 3rd bill and it actually charges me for my other prior 2 bills - with the credit applied. The calculation is slightly off vs what would have happened if my billing was correct however. The charges on my new bill were:

Billing Period: 22/01 to 14/09 (237 days)

1 Month Free (30 days) covering 427.89 units

237 x 12 = 2,844 units at 0.1379

108.46 units at 0.1244

The breakdown of units used in each period are:

22/01 to 17/03 = 650.47 units (56 days)

18/03 to 18/06 = 1,162.33 units (93 days)

19/06 to 14/09 = 1,567.54 units (88 days)

So for my current bill it SHOULD cover the period 19/06 to 14/09, meaning I should be charged in this period for:

88 x 12 = 1,056 units at 0.1379

1567.54 - 1056 = 511.54 at 0.1244

That is over 400 units that since AGL has stuffed up my bill they are charging at the higher rate charged for the first 12 units each day. 

The difference is:

(511.54 - 108.46) = 403.08 units that should be charged at the reduced rate

(0.1379 - 0.1244) = $0.015 difference between higher and lower rate

403.08 x 0.015 = $6.05 difference in amount billed

Not a large amount - but still a difference due to something messed up by AGL and not myself. I'm sure others have had the same and not realised at all - as the representative told me that having my prior bills paid will work out the same with the credit - untrue! 

WIll pay my bill as it is, but any other issues I will happily shift providers which is a very easy thing to do these days! I believe I was also waiting for a number of flybuys points for a sign up bonus - haven't seen those either, not really surprised...

4 REPLIES 4
MKH
Switched-on
1 Reply 4310 Views

I can't agree with you more! I'm sure there are many others who also have had their bills miscalculated. I also couldn't find record of my previous payment history because it was filled with their miscalculations.

They miscalculated my previous bills 3 times in the last 3 months. I was suddenly emailed in the first month saying I was credited about $500, then I was told the next month I owed more than $700 and had a few weeks to make the payment. It was very upsetting and difficult to come up with the money in one go especially this year. This month, I was told actually AGL miscalculated again, you are now credited back.

Although I'm glad I have been credited, this has been a completely horrible experience. I can only imagine how upsetting it is for many others.

Ellen1
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 4299 Views

Hi MKH! 

Welcome to AGL Community! 

Sounds like you are on monthly billing with a basic meter, if this is the case we will estimate your monthly billing if you do not provide a meter reading. 

Easy way to overcome this would be to provide a meter reading for us or get a smart meter installed if it is electricity. 

You can do either of these options by getting in touch with our team, our Messaging Team are available through the AGL App or AGL My Account. 

Thank you
Ellen

SJK123
Switched-on
0 Replies 4183 Views

Thanks,

But if you read the detailed calculations I provided there you will see it was an accounts error on AGL's side that meant I was credited with my first 2 bills, then my 3rd bill then re-charged me for those that I had already paid. As a result, I had to pay a small amount extra and at no fault of my own as some of my usage was re-classified.

I have actually received an offer of the same price on gas from another provider and was displeased with the response here so am switching.

Thanks,

Stephen 

Pa1975
Switched-on
0 Replies 3220 Views

Same happened to me