Massive Increase in power consumption following move

north
Switched-on
1 Reply 4267 Views

Morning, have just moved from the Mornington Peninsula to Foster in Gippsland - both properties have 3 bedrooms, tow bath rooms etc., so very similar.

Received my first bill recently - 1335 kWh vs 900 approx for the same period last year at the previous home - i am currently the only person in the home, whereas 3 people were living in the previous property. 

I recently received a copy of AGL insights and was surprised to see that 52% of consumption was due to hot water consumption and that almost 30% of consumption occurred from 12am to 6 am - is this excessive given that the only "systems" operating are items on stand by.

,Is it possible to get AGL to check that the meter is working correctly or provide an explanation for what seems to be excessive consumption.

Thanks Greg 

3 REPLIES 3
jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 4265 Views

Hi north,

Thank you for getting in touch!

Can I ask if you have electricity and gas at your previous property, or just electricity? Also, to ensure that your Energy Insights report is as accurate as possible, please ensure that your home energy profile is up to date in My Account!

Kind regards,

Jayden

north
Switched-on
1 Reply 4249 Views

just electricity - and not on town water, so would expect a slight increase due to electric pump operation - however, with just one person at home vs 3 previously and 30% consumption between 12 am and 6 am - i am concerned that there is an issue with the meter - please arrange for inspection/check of the meter.

jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 4242 Views

Hi north,

Thank you for getting back to me!

It's important to take into account that your water is now being heated by electricity as opposed to gas, so this will naturally see an increase in your overall usage compared to your previous property. Additionally, water pumps can consume a considerable amount of electricity depending on their capacity and hours of operation.

If you feel that you need to have your meter tested, then this is something that our customer service team can arrange for you. You can reach out to them here.

Kind regards,

Jayden