Joint names on account

Joint
Switched-on
1 Reply 4227 Views

Our account is in my husband's name. I've been told by a relative whose husband died recently, that is was very difficult getting the account changed over to her name. We rang and were told that we can't have both names on the account but no reason was given. As we already have joint names on a bank account, our water account and our rates, this makes no sense. If I become an "authorised person" would this make it easy to have the account changed if my husband were to die? I have found another supplier that seems to allow both names on the account so if this can't be sorted satisfactorily, we will go to them.

3 REPLIES 3
David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
1 Reply 4225 Views

Hi @Joint . To change the name on your account you'd just need to get in touch with us. Unfortunately, an AGL account can only be in one name at a time, although as you've pointed out it is possible to add another "authorised person" to it.

Joint
Switched-on
1 Reply 4180 Views

I still don't know if I became an authorised person, would it be easy to change the account into my name if my husband died?

David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
0 Replies 4178 Views

Hi @Joint , to change the name on an account, the new account holder simply signs up to a new plan at the same property. This will automatically finalise the account with the old account holder and the new one will take over.