Energy Accounts and Billing

Help with your AGL Energy account or AGL online tools.

Help with your AGL Energy account or AGL online tools.

Hot water billing confusion.

Superconductor

We moved to an apartment 6 months ago after living in a larger home with 4 gas appliances, we had a bill shock with our hot water in our apartment. After finally working out some answers to my bill I was rather shocked how the hot water from the boiler to my apartment is calculated it appears I have a hot water meter under my kitchen sink that measures the amount of hot water used as this water meter has a heat sensor on it. This meter measures kilo litres and litres so when I use hot water the odometer moves to show usage. The units on my bill show decialitres then multi 10 which I believe converts back to litres used then conversion factor of.4666 something then coverts in to mj. Since I have finally figured this out I am worried about using my hot water. Am I misguided here feeling I am being charged in a fanciful way a cent a litre. Mj usage 12,000 for quarter previous in house average 7,000mj

51 REPLIES 51

Superconductor

Hi Dragons

Yes and thank you so much, this issue is so wide spread, other apartment owners are also affected, will chat with all I can to enlighten. Thanks again. Now onwards to Ombudsman!

Conductor

Hi there, Due to my complaints, a technician (a contractor of the Jemena Gas Distribution Netwrok) arrived to check my meters. My meter inside the pantry cupboard (mechanical water meter) read today was 49.71 but the Remote Meter reading (electronic meter outside the unit in the varandah) was 6287.15. He changed the pulsing probe of the mechanical meter which was defective. He reset the Remotely read meter to read as 4971to be aligned with the mechanical meter. He can not gurnatee the remote meter will operate normally because it's functionality is notguranteed. 

Now the issue is why the remote meter is set to 4971 instead to 49.71 the contracted technician does not know about. This has been advised by his company and he does it as per the instruction given.

The next issue I asked why again this reading is multiplied by 10 in the bills, he again said he does not about it.

Now there is no units of measurement neither in the bills or on the name plate of the mechanical meter. 49 is the main black register and where as 71 is in the red decimal register. I read this is 47 point 71.

Someone from the Jemena technical expert should explain this or Ombudman can invetsigate and let us know this.

Fingers crossed.

Superconductor

Hi Dragons

Yes, as consumers we deserve a proper explanation, I am worried about my bill arriving this week. We need transparency as I am becoming upset by how we are being treated.

Conductor

Hi 

This is what Jemena Gas Network says in their website how to read hot water meters. They say, further assistance should be able to provide by the Retailer. This is intersting isn't it?

Hot Water Meters

There are many different kinds of models of hot water meters. To ensure that you receive a correct bill from your retailer you should read all the numbers from left to right including any leading zeros. Both the black and red numbers should be included. Not all numbers will appear on your retail bill as some dials are indicating partial litres. The meter might indicate that it is being measured in cubic meters however this is an equivalent of kilolitres.

If you require any further assistance with reading your meters please contact your Energy Retailer.

Superconductor

Hi Dragons

Thank you for the information, am I being billed in KILOLITRES.  My understanding is you can only be billed for the energy to heat hot water not for the amount of volumme of hot water consumed. 

Conductor

Hi @Village that's the confusion we have what the units are. The meter is read m3 or KL. 1m3=1kL. They measure the water volume used in the Unit from the hot water meter. They convert the water volume by multiplying the conversion factor or common factor. The CF is calculated by total gas energy used by all the Units in the appartment devide by the total water volume used by the entire apartment. So this units for CF is MJ/m3. Now we need to know whether the CF unit is MJ/m3 or MJ/Liters.

Superconductor

Hi Dragons

Perhaps AGL would kindly like to address this and give us answer, by the way in my building apartment across the hallway my adjoining elderly neighbour has a cf of 0.48467, whilst my cf is 0.466023 same boiler, oh and mult 10 which makes the bill much more expensive. I guess the billing team has a problem here. 

Conductor

hi @Village theoritaclly the CF has to be same for all the occupants in the apartment. Does your neighbour AGL customer. Normally CF is calculated by the GAs Distcibutor Netwrok Operator Example in Wetsren Sydeny it is Jemena Gas Network.

Second question; Does your negbour has MF=10?

Inetersting isn't it. Billing team not only with AGL it's same across all the reatliers in Gas Market. These numbers are simply provided to Retailer by the Gas Network. Retailers are just number crunchers, you can't blame them they do not have technical expertise. It's the network who should advise the retailers with tecnhical expertise. 

There is no beneficial to Customers at all by this Gas or Electricity Market. Everything has been made complicated and Customers simply can not understand. Only thing Retalier can do is sit in a round table, discuss and agree to different billing methods and publish in the website for the customers awareness so that customers won't have any  billing confusion which is our topic of discussion in this forum.

Why they don't it It's a BIGGGGG question??

Alumni

Hi @Dragons@Village and @Ivy

I wanted let you all know that we're working on a fact sheet around centralised hot water billing now. We know that it's an important but complex topic so we want to provide you with the best info possible. 

Hang tight - we'll be in touch shortly. 

Cheers, 

Lauren 

If I've helped at all, a Kudos would be appreciated 🙂

Superconductor

Hi Sugarkane

Thank you, all concerned deserve a detailed explanation, I just need to know what I we being billed for, getting nervous about my next bill due to arrive this week