Energy Accounts and Billing

Help with your AGL Energy account or AGL online tools.

Help with your AGL Energy account or AGL online tools.

Hot water billing confusion.

Superconductor

We moved to an apartment 6 months ago after living in a larger home with 4 gas appliances, we had a bill shock with our hot water in our apartment. After finally working out some answers to my bill I was rather shocked how the hot water from the boiler to my apartment is calculated it appears I have a hot water meter under my kitchen sink that measures the amount of hot water used as this water meter has a heat sensor on it. This meter measures kilo litres and litres so when I use hot water the odometer moves to show usage. The units on my bill show decialitres then multi 10 which I believe converts back to litres used then conversion factor of.4666 something then coverts in to mj. Since I have finally figured this out I am worried about using my hot water. Am I misguided here feeling I am being charged in a fanciful way a cent a litre. Mj usage 12,000 for quarter previous in house average 7,000mj

51 REPLIES 51

Superconductor

Hi Dragons

Just spoke to neighbour, he apologised he gave me his previous bill so it did not match cf because it was a different billing period, thogh he does get mult 10. He is billed by different company details on his bill much the same except he has no decimals or commas just 5 numbers eg 35313 I have 32,9689.99 , think mine skipped forward a decimal point on the computer at billing office my meter under sink would have read 329.689. So go figger the extra 9. These apartments built at same time.

Superconductor

Hi Sugarkane

Got a bill today, bigger than ever, apparently used over 20,000 mj therefore struggling, 501.00 dollars, service charge up from 51c a day to 54c a day was not notified of change as per energy Contract, by the way16 % only off gas usage not total bill? Is that correct? Answers please and soon. Customer phone service today very evasive and rather disappointing just because I am customer who has a bill that requires answers.

Alumni

Hi @Village@Dragons and @Ivy - we've published a knowledge base article about this matter, you can view it here; hopefully it helps clarify some of these questions you have raised.

If anyone wants to discuss their account with us, please private message a moderator and we'll get in touch ASAP to assist.

Cheers

Before posting, make sure you are familiar with our community guidelines.

And be sure to give a like when you see a helpful post from a user!

Conductor
hi @limydoo. Thanks for the publishing the stuff. I received my revised bill today. The hot water meter reading was 49.71 don't know the units. but the technician aligned the data logger reading to 4971 instead of 49.71. I alrady sent the picture of the meter taken with a newspaper behind the meter as instructed to ensure the reading date. my issue is why the bills does not reflect the meter reading instead the bill shows the data logger readings. the published q and a does not explain this. Should I raise this as a official complain with AGL or should I proceed with Ombudsman. The revised bill has given me 200$ saving from the previous original bill. I can not thrust the data logger at all.

Alumni

Thanks for your reply. I believe that your query is sufficiently answered in the TKB artile - the original measurement is taken in decilitres, and in order to calculate the bill the reading is taken in litres. If you'd like us to discuss this issue further please private message a moderator.

Thanks

Before posting, make sure you are familiar with our community guidelines.

And be sure to give a like when you see a helpful post from a user!

Superconductor

Hi Sugarkane

I have studied your fact sheet - 

Questions

For a customer clarification usage, I presume you take the difference between the start read and end read to show units ( this should say usage) on bill, you call it units, customer starts confusion at this point especially when the kitchen water meter shows kilolitres, Jemena , how to read hot water Meters -" There are many different kinds of models of hot water meters. To ensure that you receive the correct bill from your retailer you should read all the numbers from left to right including any leading zeros both black and red numbers should be included, not all numbers will appear on your retail bill as some of the dials indicate partial litres. The Meter might indicate it is being measured in cubic Meters however this is the equivalent of KILOLITRES.If you require any further assistance with reading your Meters contact your Energy retailer."

My hot water Meter measures KILOLITRES (model Actaris/cyble)

I presume when I receive my bill you have changed this to decilitres then mult 10 to change to litres then multiply again with conversion factor to show usage mj.

Just clarifying my situation as the fact sheet is a little different, my elderly neighbours can't understand what the fact sheet is getting at. Perhaps a visual fact sheet with a illustration may be really helpful, perhaps on website How to read your hot water gas bill. Just asking?

Alumni

Great idea @Village. We'll try and get this sorted - hopefully the info is comprehensive enough for now. 

In the meantime, if your neighbours have any questions about their hot water gas bill, get them tocontact us. We're here to help. 

Thanks! 

Lauren 

If I've helped at all, a Kudos would be appreciated 🙂

Switched-on
Hi Village. I was wondering how you went with your bills and the ombudsman? I just stumbled across this thread as I'm currently going through the same issues. I was wondering if you were able to resolve, and if so how.

Conductor

Hi Bronte, 

This is highly technical issue as the meter reads in different units and the data logger shows in diffrent way plus the bills shows another way. The retailers and the Ombudsman Office do not have technical staff to explain the Customers these things clearly. I had a detailed discussion with the technician and able to understand the concepts but my meter reads and the data logger had some defects and saved lot of money 60000liters of hot water volume difference. Also the Ombudsman resolve the dipute offereing 50% discount of the bills as there is no clear resolution. The issue is Off shore outsourcing of billing is a  huge problem to Australian Customers. This is how the Market and the industry work these days. All the best.

Superconductor

Hi Bronte

The ombudsman do try and sort out the problems but most times it runs in favour of the provider. UNLESS your meter is faulty or incorrect gas charges. The Ombudsman do a wonderful job but my experience was that I could not understand the gas bill and why I had a huge bill because I didn't know I had a hot water flow meter.

I eventually worked out the bill calculation for myself - this is how it works for me, only in some apartments. If you are living in an Apartment with a hot water flow meter (1st part of the major confusion) my bill shows 2 meters on my bill. Meter 1 is for gas cooking/ Meter 2 is hot water for all hot water used, including hot water mixed with cold eg, warm, lukewarm, tepid all charged as hot water through hot water flow meter.

Working out out the bill - My bill from Meter 2 was the most confusing as I could read Meter 1  (gas meter) easily for my cooking. Meter 2  bill reads start and end read UNITS ( this is actually decalitres)) this is a subtraction of the start and end read. You now have a figure of units this is how much hot water used. MULT means you multiply all the Units you got (from your subtraction) by 10 (this gives the number of hot water litres you have used) now the CONVERSION FACTOR multiply this by the figure  on the bill figure you got with MULT. This will give you your usage in MJ this is then multiplied by cents per MJ. The formula is  ( units ) x (multi) x  (conversion factor) then this equals MJ.

IMO basically being charged for hot,warm, tepid water by the litre, others may have a different opinion. I now take my own reading from the hot water flow meter myself  under my kitchen sink (all the numbers on the meter,  it has a little flap you lift up  on the meter and you will see all the numbers in red and black, write down all the numbers don't worry about the decimal as the supplier reads the meter in decalitres which jumps one of the figures from black over into the red, just to confuse the customer) and write my usage on the calendar about every fortnight. I was surprised how much hot water was being used. I now use only cold water for washing and limit showers where possible. I was able to fault find my own bills by knowing what was my use. I was able to identify a wrong conversion factor recently which was over 0.7 which is normally .470448 or around that figure and report it and got a credit because it was incorrect.

I hope this helps you make head and tail of the bill, this run around took over six months via Ombudsman, provider and supplier and a lot of my time. I was offered $50 off my bill also  like Dragons but declined, as all I wanted to know is how to read my bill and an explanation, I now know I have a hot water flow meter and what it does.