Calls from AGL energy (03) 8613 9353

indyfromoz
Switched-on
5 Replies 22650 Views

I have received multiple calls this week from the phone number (03) 8613 9353. 

When I picked the phone call, there was silence for more than few seconds and then, caller introduced herself as "Calling from AGL Energy as their is a problem with your account". She started by telling me that "this call will be recorded for monitoring and coaching purposes" making it sound really genuine. She then asked me to verify my details before she could tell me what the problem is. I asked her to give some idea of the "problem" -- payment failure, service disruption, anything else? She kept pressing me for my details which I refused to provide and she abruptly cut the call. 

I checked my AGL Energy account. There are no overdue bills or service issues I could see. Perhaps something to be aware off. I am pretty sure this is a typical scam where they are recording the voice of the person in the call and use that to apply for services such as credit cards, etc. 

9 REPLIES 9
David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
2 Replies 22647 Views

Hi @indyfromoz .

This is a genuine AGL number and not a scam.

However, it's certainly a good idea to be cautious about giving out your details to callers like this. To check whether a call is legitimate and we actually need to talk to you, just log in to your account and click "Send us a message".

Alternately, you can also get in touch with us by phone or chat, but the messaging option above will take less of your time (no waiting around on hold!).

Dcc433
Switched-on
1 Reply 21020 Views

Yeh I got the same call lots of silence which makes me think they’re calling from overseas for one, and then secondly out of nowhere just demanding money off me! What kind of **bleep** customer service is that, not trying to work out someone’s personal circumstances or if they are suffering financial hardship and the like due to covid. Just demanding money today. I’ve worked in collections for years in my career, and I found the consultants demeanour disgusting irrespective of If I owe money or not. I will be changing companies solely based on how I was treated over the phone. Just raised my anxiety levels even more than they were.

-Steve-
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 20975 Views

Hi Dcc433, sorry you have had this experience, this is certainly not what we want to occur. So we can pass along the relevant feedback and provide assistance with your account please get in touch via messenger in MyAccount or via the AGL App. 

indyfromoz
Switched-on
0 Replies 17965 Views

This has started to happen again, unfortunately. 

First instance --  Yesterday I received a call from this number... I was asked to "verify" my last name which I did. I was then told everything checks out fine and all my details are up-to-date. The caller assured me there will no more calls ever.

Fast forward to 5 mins ago - Same number, 8 seconds of silence and I hung up!

I do not understand if something is badly broken in AGL Energy customer service or this is a scam? I do not understand why this is so hard for an organization like AGL to fix it once and for all??

Spectral
Superconductor
0 Replies 12453 Views

Yep got a call from this number - think I'm getting Scammed too

yvettemadelaine
Switched-on
0 Replies 11332 Views

I also received multiple calls from this number this morning. I did not pick up and no message was left. I will block the number. Thank you for posting your experience, OP

David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
0 Replies 11090 Views

Just to confirm: This is a genuine number used for outbound AGL calls, and not a scam.

Kaos
Switched-on
1 Reply 209 Views

03 96494601 a legitimate AGL phone No.? Received 2 calls today

Xander-AGL
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 208 Views

Hi @Kaos - this number does appear to be one of the numbers our outbound credit team uses for collections calls.

If you are ever unsure, you can ask the person calling you to leave a note on your account, and then call us back on 131 245, where a representative should be able to advise you an outbound call had been made.

Kind regards,
Xander