Energy Accounts and Billing

Help with your AGL Energy account or AGL online tools.

Help with your AGL Energy account or AGL online tools.

Billing Phone Calls

Switched-on

I received two phone calls yesterday from unidentified numbers claiming to be AGL which were a robotic message which started when I picked up the phone; and asked me to click something to proceed. 

Having received the ATO scam calls; the "you've had an accident" scam calls, and another one this week, and being a bit sick of reporting them all to Scamwatch as I do, I of course did not click the number and the call just hung up. 

I checked on my electricity bill and found that it was indeed overdue by about a week, which I missed having been away.    So I paid it. 

If the AGL call was a real one, it beggars belief that AGL would use this method of contacting customers genuinely, about overdue bills, when it has all the hallmarks of a scam.  It wasn't even a real person calling; but it did mention my name.

Perhaps a better way could be considered in future.    I wonder how many people would actually answer that call. 

1 REPLY 1

Switched-on

I received one today claiming an urgent message and directing me to push 1. I also hung up.