AGL Community Engagement Forum

Rubicon power stations

Semiconductor

Yesterday I visited rubicon hydro scheme,having not been there for many years.Iwas very suprised to see that not only where the 2 power stations I saw ( rubicon lower and rubicon) not operating while there was quite high river flow ,but the cables leading to the stations were all removed..Does anyone know how long this has been the case and why?This does not match what it says on the AGL website for Rubicon! Are these stations to be repaired or is that it? So much for sustainable energy ! Are the Royston and Rubicon falls station still operating?

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4

AGL Employee

Hi @Dale1 ,

Thanks for reaching out about the Rubicon Power Scheme - AGL's oldest power generation site. 

The Rubicon Scheme is, in some parts, nearing 99 years old. Whilst Hydroelectric generation sites do not necessarily have an end of life date, maintenance and modernisation efforts are required to continue operating into the future.

AGL is currently upgrading some of the plant associated with the switchyard and gear. Rubicon should be back to generating in the next six to eight months.

Kind regards, Lachlan
Tags (1)

Semiconductor

Thanks Lachlan , It is good to hear that AGL is planning to return the historic Rubicon power station to service soon and I hope to see it operating on my next visit . Are the Rubicon falls and the Royston Hydro plant still operating , and is the lower Rubicon station to be returned to service as well ? 

Regards Dale

AGL Employee

Good to hear @Dale1,

Currently, all stations part of the Rubicon Scheme are offline, and AGL plans to return all of them once the maintenance and upgrades have been finalised.

Cheers,

Lachlan

Semiconductor

Thanks for that Lachlan , it will be great to see them all operating again 

Regards Dale